Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/20/2009 8:06:03 PM EDT
Have a Young's chromed BCG assembly that I'm attempting to put into an RRA upper. This is my first AR 15, so please bear with me.

Bolt fits into the upper just fine but stops at the barrell extension. Seems to be rotated some fraction of a inch to far clockwise. How do I correct this, I've searched and haven't found an answer yet.

Thanks,
Justin
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post some pictures of the bcg alone and in the upper?
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried putting just the bolt in the barrel, off of the carrier?  

And are you riding the carrier handle home or are you letting it go and ride home on it's own?
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I pulled the bolt out of the carrier and it goes in just fine. I've tried letting it slide right in, and giving it a little push...neither has worked.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgive me for my ignorance, but which part is the cam? I'm going to search for it and hopefully find an answer.

So would this be a bolt problem or a bolt carrier problem...I'm assuming the bolt itself is causing the indexing problem....which I hope is the case since its the cheapest.

I unfortunately don't have another BCG or bolt.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, I'm stupid, I understand what the cam is. I've had it out so many times I'm sure I've tried it both ways but I went ahead and took notice of the orientation of it and tried both ways and still have no luck getting it in.

I'm going to call Youngs on Monday and see if I can get another bolt sent to me.

Have any idea if this is a common problem? I ask because I have no problem buying one from someone else. I'd just like to know before I try to get them to replace it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Is it just me or does the last picture look like the bolt lugs/teeth are bigger than the extension, preventing the bolt from engaging and locking?  Are you sure that's a 5.56/.223 barrel extension and 5.56/.223 bolt?  ETA:  You did say the bolt engages the extension when its outside of the receiver so I assume it's just an illusion.  Is the gas tube the proper length?  I can't think of too many things that would cause your problem.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 3:20:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, when removed from the carrier, the bolt fits, into the extension fine. On the reverse of that, with the bolt removed, the carrier fits perfectly into the upper and slides into the gas key fine from what I can tell (ie, it goes completely into the upper and is flush with the rear of the upper.

I'm going to put a 5.56 round in the barrel to make sure it seats correctly and is the correct barrel and extension.

I was at a gun show yesterday and took the upper with me in the hopes of finding a bcg for sale that I could test fit into my upper, unfortunately I didn't come across any for sale. I highly doubt a gun shop would allow me to swap BCGs with one of their working rifles....I don't have a relationship with any of them around here.

I want to try another bolt in the carrier, and if that doesn't work, I suppose I'll have to find a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Could it be as simple as the barrel be indexed a little off?
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like the rt feed ramp is further out to me. Barrel needing to rotate clockwise looking at the photo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Now I thought it needed to go counter clockwise a tad to line up.....seems like if I turned it clockwise it would be even farther off...
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#15]
My bet is that it's the "youngs mfg" bolt or the carrier cam pin slot being out of "alignment".  Send it back to youngs explaining the problem, or if you can, go to a gun shop and just ask nicely if you can put one of their bolt/carrier groups in your upper to see if it works.  You should have stuck with a standard bolt/carrier group in the first place.  I have seen dozens "chrome" bolts broken in half, and have only seen one standard bolt broken in half in 7 years of working on these things.  I won't put down chrome carriers, but get a standard bolt for your weapon now!  Look up "hydrogen embrittlement" and you will see why you should not use "chrome" bolts in your weapon!  It's the same reason it is illegal to chrome plate steer rims on commercial vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, this is what I want to hear. I'm going to be building another AR soon and I'll stick with a std bcg.

I've contacted y/m and will hopefully hear back from them soon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Something that has come to mind is the gas tube.

It's already been stated that the bolt will fit in the barrel extension. The carrier with the bolt will fit into the upper. The BCG will NOT go all the way into the barrel extension when put together.

Check the front of the gas tube for dents from the gas key. IF there are dents or marks, adjust the gas tube accordingly to allow it to line up with the gas key.

i too would look at all parts of the gas tube. i saw a member here have the gas tube roll pin in front of the gas tube instead of through it's hole making it stick inside the reciever too much causing the bcg not to close.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Just wanted to update this thread:

I spoke to the guys at Young's. Told me that they had a few bolts with a similar problem and thought they had gotten all of them. He was very apologetic and one is in the mail right now. They wanted me to send the old one back so they could figure out what the problem is. Hopefully the new one will slide right in.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top