Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2008 4:04:40 PM EDT
ETA:  Should mention what all I have:

Model1Sales 7.62x39 16" upper kit
Spike's Tactical Stripped Lower
C-Product's latest batch of 30 round 7.62x39 mags

1)  Is it normal for the charging handle latch to not seat completely without pushing it?  Mine comes really close to latching, but not quite.  I have the Tactical Latch from Model1Sales...

BTW, I don't recommend this latch, it's way too big and cumbersome.  I'll probably be getting a standard one soon.

http://www.model1sales.com/images/chrghandle.gif

2)  Inside the barrel where the gas tube enters, it seems to have some flash (or something) there sticking up.  It could be an optical illusion, but it does look like it's raised up about 0.25 mm or so.  There was something hanging down from it when I unboxed it, but after I went one stroke through the barrel with the brush, it appeared to have went away.  I couldn't find it though.  So maybe it just folded up in there or something.  I pulled the brush through 4 times all together, and it would get hung up (just a bit) in that area every time.  But since it's still raised a little and knowing that I couldn't find the piece that was hanging down, I'm a little weary about firing it.  I might go have a gunsmith take a look at it just in case.  Is the gas block easy enough to take off in order to inspect it myself?

3)  When I was cycling it by hand to test the mags and feed ramps, the bolt jammed twice, locking it in the forward position.  I shook it and tapped it both times, but it didn't help.  So I pulled pretty hard and both times it freed up.  What causes that?

4)  Should the bolt lock back when there is no magazine inserted?  

5)  Why do some of my magazines lock the bolt back when they are empty and some don't?

6)  THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
1)  Is it normal for the charging handle latch to not seat completely without pushing it?  Mine comes really close to latching, but not quite.  I have the Tactical Latch from Model1Sales...

Yes. Some times it takes a slight tap to lock it in place.

height=8
2)  Inside the barrel where the gas tube enters, it seems to have some flash (or something) there sticking up.  It could be an optical illusion, but it does look like it's raised up about 0.25 mm or so.  There was something hanging down from it when I unboxed it, but after I went one stroke through the barrel with the brush, it appeared to have went away.  I couldn't find it though.  So maybe it just folded up in there or something.  I pulled the brush through 4 times all together, and it would get hung up (just a bit) in that area every time.  But since it's still raised a little and knowing that I couldn't find the piece that was hanging down, I'm a little weary about firing it.  I might go have a gunsmith take a look at it just in case.  Is the gas block easy enough to take off in order to inspect it myself?

When the barrel gas port is drilled, this can often times leave a bit of material behind when the drill bit punches through. Sometimes this material can be knocked free like you attempted to do. Other times the weapon must be fired to break this piece free.

In very rare instances the material gets blown back up into the barrel blocking off gas flow. In this case a gun smith might be required if you are not knowledgeable enough to disassembly the weapon to correct the problem.

height=8
3)  When I was cycling it by hand to test the mags and feed ramps, the bolt jammed twice, locking it in the forward position.  I shook it and tapped it both times, but it didn't help.  So I pulled pretty hard and both times it freed up.  What causes that?

Lack of lubrication perhaps? A new rifle should be field stripped, cleaned, inspected, lubed, reassembled and function checked.

height=8
4)  Should the bolt lock back when there is no magazine inserted?  

ETA: No. It should not.

(I retract my previous answer after being corrected by Dano. At the time,I misread the question and answered incorrectly.)

height=8
5)  Why do some of my magazines lock the bolt back when they are empty and some don't?

Are some of the magazines used? A used mag with a weak spring will sometimes fail to push up on the bolt catch.

height=8
6)  THANKS!  

Your welcome.   hanks
As for question 3, the gun is fully lubed.  I field stripped it, cleaned everything, and lubed it to the TM manual spec using Breakfree CLP.  I was pretty liberal with the CLP too.

Oh, and if the charging handle does not get latched, is it going to shoot out and hit me in the face when shooting?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:
Number 4,

With no mag inserted into the rifle, and the bolt catch untouched, the bolt should not lock back!

Either the rifle is new and in a dry state, the hammer is catching the firing pin collar on the way forward, or of you mean that the bolt is staying all the way rearward when the CH is pulled all the way back, then pull the buffer and spring with either the buffer spring has an end of wind bur, or the top butt stock is too long and embedding into the buffer bumper.

On the later, if the stock is a A-2 unit, it could be that you did not install the receiver extension space on the end of the tube before installing the stock.  If an A-1 stock, could have been that you installed an A-2 butt stock screw (5/8" longer, hence the spacer) and now the screw is protuding into the back void of the tube.

The bolt is getting jambed in the closed (forward) position and the gun is lubed liberally with Breakfree CLP.  I'll take a look at the hammer and firing pin collar to see if there are any tell tale marks on either of them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh, and if the charging handle does not get latched, is it going to shoot out and hit me in the face when shooting?  

If you insert a loaded mag, pull the charging handle, let go so the BCG and handle fly forward, and the handle doesn't latch, then something is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you get a chance to resolve #4?

#4 has me worried that something isn't right but it is possible that since it's so new and you technically haven't let the gun cycle under its own power, it may not be an issue at all.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top