Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 9:09:28 AM EDT
Cleaned my new-to-me AR upper last night and the firing pin retaining pin looks prety bad. You can see that the firing pin is trying to walk over it. Is there a problem that I can look for to keep this from happening?

Do you need to use a hardened one? Is it just a regular old cotter pin? The one from my roomates M4 looked like a hardened one where mine was shinny like the cheep ones.

Any recomendations where I can get a handfull of these or even a commonly broken parts kit?

Thanks
ROB
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Brownells sells them from various manufacturers. They also have a small parts kit, item  989-015-000
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:04:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Take a good look at the top L cut on the hammer for signs of where where there should be none

Got it! I'll take a look.

Looks like Brownells is out of those kits. Maybe I should just get the master kit for 50$...

Thanks
ROB
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Midway had a nice kit and the glock mag I have been looking for... Thanks ROB
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
Do you have a shrouded or un-shrouded carrier?

I'm not sure of the difference? It's a old colt upper with the assist button.... time to hit google...

Edit: un-shrouded Does that mean that I can see the head of the firing pin from the underside of the bolt assembly? If so then yes I can see the blunt end of the firing pin and manipulate it with my fingers.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
The unshrouded sucks, as it bends up the firing pin retainer making it harder to put back in.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/FrogBait4/Mil/th_carriers-1.jpg

I have one similer to the one on the left... So it might just be the way things are with this bolt assy EDIT: They also say the shrouded is more reliable with feeding. I had a problem with older Wolf Black Box amo when I tried this upper out last week and my roomates M4 was just fine. Mine wasn't wanting to fully pick up the second shot from the mag... like it was slightly short cycling...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Great thread with pics on how to modify.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=377018

Thanks QUIB !
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top