Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2007 4:16:02 PM EDT
I just assebled my ar15.  I have a 24" varmit barrel from RRA, complete upper.  I tested it today and the bolt will not cycle.  Each time I fire, I have to manually pull the charging handle to extract shell and insert new ammo.  I looked down the barrel after cleaning and I can't seem to see the gas hole where the gas block is attached.  How small is the gas hole anyways.   I sprayed gun cleaner down the gas tube and it seems to leak into the barrel.  any input is greatly appreciated.  thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If when spraying cleaner down the gas tube it flows freely into the barrel, then I would look to the bolt carrier and see if the key is also free when spraying down it into the bolt body.  One end or the other seems lacking.

Second thought is that the gas tube may not be far enough into the gas block/sight base???  Hole in tube must align to hole in barrel...   DUH!  <-- me
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
First issues i would in vestigate are the possibility of a clogged gas tube or an loose bolt carrier key.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
when i spray down the gas tube the liquid doesnt seem to flow freely.  it seems it is dripping out of the barrel.  does RRA test fire the uppers?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Could be a problem with the gas block....

The apertures in the gas block may be patent but slightly
obstructed rendering insufficient pressure for proper recycling...

I think this is more likely than the gas tube/gas block/
barrel junctions getting out of allignment.

If no other fixes seem to work, perhaps an inspec-  
tion and re-fitting of the gas block wouldn't hurt.

just my .02....GOOD LUCK! AND KEEP US INFORMED!

docgary
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#5]

What kind of gas block? If it was just installed it could be misaligned with the hole in the barrel. BTW, I can't see my gashole looking in the barrel.

Gas key tight? Gas rings present? Factory ammo?

Last time this came up, the gas tube wasn't inserted nearly far enough in the gas block.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top