Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2007 4:48:37 PM EDT
I bought a new barrel from a highly praised manufacturer through a very well known dealer. The barrel first off has a big ding right at the end where the threading starts, it was probably dropped since the mark is shiny and everything else is parkerized. Then I unfortunately looked inside the bore and noticed a large black spot. I tried to wip it off with a q-tip, wont budge. Then I looked at the rifling and it looks awfull, it looks discolored and seems as if there were small bits of metal or something in there right before they chromed the barrel. Has anyone ever bought a barrel that looks like this?

Contacted the seller and they said to return it, im just wondering whether this is normal or should the inside of the barrel look fairly good?

Not critisizing or mentioning who the manufacturer or seller is ( so dont ask), just want your opinion of the state of new barrels.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
in other words, shoot it or send it back.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
no one knows?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I own 2 other AR's, I know what a gas port looks like. It is a large black spot 1 inch under the crown inside the barrel, (and it wont come off) the inside of the barrel looks like somene was dumping metal shavings in there right before chroming, I never looked inside the barrel before I shot my other ones, I just want to know if this is common and will it smooth over with use.
The gas port, are there really people that are that dumb? Im sorry but if I were buying a rifle id damn well know what they look like and how all the parts work before even considering.
Thanks for you reply though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I think im just gonna send it back. Thanks for the help
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top