Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2006 10:18:07 AM EDT
I am trying to replace the regular oval handguards with a set of MI-4 rail handguards and I cannot get the oval ones off. The manual says to pull down/back on the handguard slip ring, that is holding on the handguards, and just pull the other ones out. But it is not working! Is there a certain trick to this, because I would really like to get the MI on there without having to take it to someone and have them do it for me.

Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Theres no real trick to it some rings are harder to move then others.  You can do several things if you really want them off.  If you're a tech savy guy you can buy a hand guard removal tool which is a neat contraption that acts like a lever to push the retaining ring down.  If you're a hold my beer and watch this kinda guy you may want to bust out the dremel and a 12 pack and see how long it takes to cut the ring off. You can even make it a drinking game.  Everytime you miss the ring and cut the lower or handguards you have to pound a brew.  The cheapest and quickest option if you have any friends is to ask one to help you.  After making sure the rifle is empty put the buttstock on a solid surface and have your buddy or you push down on the ring while the other pulls the lower guard out. Reapeat with the top guard.  Good luck and if you choose the hold my beer and watch this option please take pics or video and post it.  I haven't had a good laugh in awhile.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, with sarcasim,,,I haven't had a good laugh in a while either until I read that. I guess I'll get someone to hold the ring down while I attempt to get the handguards off. Then we'll drink some beers
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thx for the laugh!
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:41:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a funny reply, and others probably have tried it. Some are harder to get off than others. Two people are handy, a flat tip screwdriver works on occasion. You just have to be careful. As your mother use to say. "You will put your eye out"
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
the neatest tool i've ever made is the homemade handguard tool.I think it's 1/4 inch steel rod bent with a propane torch with clear tubing slid over the contact areas.make you one,you can then take/put on handguards with aplomb,and if you clamp the rifle betwwen your knees,you can still hold your beer in your other hand...
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Had the same problem yesterday w/my new AR.  My son-in-law & I got the originals off, but couldn't get the new ones on.  Took it back to the dealer who said he'd help.  He and another guy got them on in 10 seconds.  A trick one of the fellows said, was just pull down hard on one side of the ring, and as you put the new handguard in, slitely rotate it in to place on that one side.  Than do the same for the other side.  Two people to help is best.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am trying to replace the regular oval handguards with a set of MI-4 rail handguards and I cannot get the oval ones off. The manual says to pull down/back on the handguard slip ring, that is holding on the handguards, and just pull the other ones out. But it is not working! Is there a certain trick to this, because I would really like to get the MI on there without having to take it to someone and have them do it for me.

Thanks...

If your installing the MI 2 piece rails order the handgaurd removel tool first.   You will not get the MI handgaurds on without one. The Mi handgaurd have a very tight fit.      

The handgaurd removal tool is a very handy tool  

Here's a good source for one  link
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top