Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 8:36:48 PM EDT
If I slowly pull the charging handle backwards, at a certain point, you can feel a significant difference in tension.

Is this just the carrier sliding over the hammer?  Should it be very noticable?

Note:  This is with the hammer already cocked back.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, even with the hammer cocked, it is still lowered down below the disconnector sear on the rear ward stroke, hence riding the bottom of the carrier.

Alright that's good to know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#3]
To see just how hard a cocked hammer pushes up on the carrier, just remove the upper and try to replicate the bolt carrier group's movement in and out of the receiver extension (minus the buffer & spring for safety's sake).

It's going to feel like a LOT of upward pressure if you're hand cycling things slowly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
To see just how hard a cocked hammer pushes up on the carrier, just remove the upper and try to replicate the bolt carrier group's movement in and out of the receiver extension (minus the buffer & spring for safety's sake).

It's going to feel like a LOT of upward pressure if you're hand cycling things slowly.

Yeah it seems that way.

I was just worried because I've been having a lot of trouble with my new rifle lately.  It's not cycling like it should.

Apparently the bolt isn't going back far enough to cycle another round with some ammo, and even lock back after the last round is fired with other ammo.

Yet it ejects fine.  I'm replacing the buffer spring, but I'm trying to figure out what else might cause the bolt not to slide back all the way due to resistance or rubbing.  Everything looks fine.  We'll see what happens next weekend once I get the spring installed and shoot a few rounds.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it seems that way.

I was just worried because I've been having a lot of trouble with my new rifle lately.  It's not cycling like it should.

Apparently the bolt isn't going back far enough to cycle another round with some ammo, and even lock back after the last round is fired with other ammo.

Yet it ejects fine.  I'm replacing the buffer spring, but I'm trying to figure out what else might cause the bolt not to slide back all the way due to resistance or rubbing.  Everything looks fine.  We'll see what happens next weekend once I get the spring installed and shoot a few rounds.

If you have a A1/A2 stock make sure your screw that holds the stock to the buffer tube is not too long,I
have trimmed two that were too long and restricting buffer travel.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it seems that way.

If you have a A1/A2 stock make sure your screw that holds the stock to the buffer tube is not too long,I
have trimmed two that were too long and restricting buffer travel.

It's a collapsible carbine stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Carbine recoil spring should be around 10.5".  

If you pull the spring and find that it is around 11.75", then you have a standard spring installed (read spring is too long/binding up before the buffer bottoms out on the back of the receiver extension.

It's about 10.75".  Came complete with the rest of the stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top