Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2006 3:48:35 AM EDT
Hey everyone new to the site and fairly new to the AR scene.  I have a Sporter II that is to my knowledge completely stock.  The original owner bought the gun in 87 and my father purchased it from a family friend 3 or 4 years ago making him its third owner.  Like I said the gun is stock how it was purchased, to my knowledge no mods were made to chamber, barrel(from what I have read on the site it is a 20" with 1-7 rifling.) , or any other workings of the rifle.  It still has the original two position carbine stock and the original iron sites.  The gun has not had but a few hundred rounds through it since we have had it.  The other day I ran about 10 to 12 rounds of rem. .223 (not sure of the grain) through  it and mid clip the bolt locked back and will not come forward.  It was ejecting and extracting fine and felt like it always has while firing.  I was using the original 20 shot clip from colt when this happened.  Think I gave most of the info needed anything i forgot please let me know.  I apprectiate any help I can get, and from reading this sight you guys seem to know your AR's.  Thank you in advance from another lost newbie.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Most likely, you had a primer pop out and is jamming the bolt carrier.  Major pain in the ass to get out.

Good reason to use ammo with staked primers when you can.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Using the Information button above or Colt AR15 manual for reference, ya may have to remove the collapsible stock in order to get things back to normal here, but this would be my last resort.

First the poster above could be correct, as blown primers can and do cause such lock-ups. Normally if I thought this had happen, I'd probably try the "bashing" the stock on the ground technique to see if I could loosen the hung primer, allowing the bolt to return forward.....

There is a possibility the buffer retaining pin has come unhinged at the rear of the lower and could be hanging things up.

If whanging and bashing the stock on the ground make no change to your present condition I'd then remove the stock and buffer tube and attempt to clear this jam from the rear.

Good luck and don't forget the assembly-dissassembly threads noted above if ya need 'em.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:21:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd probably try the "bashing" the stock on the ground technique to see if I could loosen the hung primer, allowing the bolt to return forward.....

Mike

Just remember to put the stock in the collapsed position first so as not to damage the locking detent.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. Needless to say that saved me a few days of scratching my head.  It ended up being primer stuck in the carraige.  The link that Dano left for me ended up having the exact method, I quote "persuading the bolt" back forward with a screwdriver and a hammer. Although, whanging and bashing started the process nicely.  Needless to say the neighbors I do have are probably thinking I am crazy because you know I had to test it once it was unjammed, cleaned, and loaded with diff ammo.  If any of you guys are ever down in amish coutry a.k.a Lancaster County, PA let me know because I owe you all a beer.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
welcome to the site! oh, and it's called a MAGAZINE, not a CLIP.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top