Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2006 11:17:16 AM EDT
I hope this is the right place to post these questions - posted them earlier in the RRA forum and got no responses...

I have a middie A4 upper with the SS barrel and a standard RRA lower with the 6 position stock. I have just started doing some minor mods and adjustments and had a couple of quick questions on two of the projects:

(1) I wanted to remove the stock to slip on a single point sling ring. I separated the upper and lower, removed the buffer and buffer spring, attacked the lock ring with the proper wrench and got stopped cold; I could not get the lock ring to budge. Tried the wrench with all of my (considerable) weight behind it and even pounded the positioned wrench with a rubber mallet - nothing, nada, no movement at all. I can, obviously, graduate to more creative ways to apply more torque, but before I do so, my first three part questionquestion...(a) is this typical? (b) any other suggestions, methods, etc, and (c) assuming it was torqued on this tight for a reason, should I do the blue loctite thing when I put it back on (assuming again I can, in fact, get it off!)?

(2) Optimistically presuming all goes well with (1) above and I get the new sling ring on, I wanted to remove the front sling mount currently dangling noisily from the A2 front sight. What is the best way to accomplish this? Can I just take a 3/32 pin punch. put it in the divot side of the rivet attaching the sling mount to the sight base and drive the rivet out?

Any suggestions solving these issues appreciated!

Cheers,
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Dano,

Thanks!  Great advice.  

Any suggestions for the best way to get the temp up to the magic 600 mark with minimum application of open flame?  Will a heat gun (like those used to strip paint) do the job?

Cheers,
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, again, Dano.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are reluctant to apply heat to that part, you might try WD40. I have found that WD40 will dissolve blue locktite. I found this out the hard way when my scope base screws came loose. I had used blue locktite on them and at some point used WD40 on the rifle.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top