Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 5:48:54 AM EDT
I think I am seeing an unusual bolt wear pattern on my RRA upper....

I posted in the RRA forum which may not be the correct place...

If you guys can have a look here I would appreciate it:

If you do reply please post in the thread below. Thanks

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=38&t=150052
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Normal wear on the bolt, and the reason that the edges are beveled.

What you are seeing is the bolt just mating to the barrel extension lugs.

Up close in person it looks more worn than the pic shows. I have an Eagle - Arms rifle that has 8k plus rounds and show no such wear.

How many rounds would it take to see wear in that area...

btw.. thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:21:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It really boils down to the barrel extension timing in the upper barrel socket to the bolt lugs, the tightness of the cam in the upper receiver track, the free play between the inner face of the barrel extension lugs/surfaces to the inner barrel shoulder, and the timing/slot of the carrier for the cam to name just a few in regards to parts needing to mate in.

If you feel that this wear is out of the norm, by all means send the upper back to them to be serviced.

Point blank, in the world of suppliers, it doesn't get any better than this when it comes to customer service; being proud of the rifles that you produce.

Quoted:
I realy can't clearly see what you're describing, but if it is a concern to you, it is to us as well.
Thanks.
Steve/RRA

+1 for RRA
I will probably send it back and let them check it out
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:05:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Normal wear on the bolt, and the reason that the edges are beveled.

What you are seeing is the bolt just mating to the barrel extension lugs.

Up close in person it looks more worn than the pic shows. I have an Eagle - Arms rifle that has 8k plus rounds and show no such wear.

How many rounds would it take to see wear in that area...

btw.. thanks for the reply

I posted in your other thread also, my Colt upper has more rounds thru it than my mutt gun w/ RRA bolt carrier group and yet the RRA bolt lugs show similar peening and bevelled edges...the Colt factory-built doesn't.

The mutt gun upper is a Model-1 purchased as a barrelled and headspaced assembly, with a RRA bolt carrier group and charging handle.  All parts were new at time of assembly.

I'm theorizing that the upper isn't headspaced properly for the RRA bolt, creating a gap between the barrel extension locking surface and the bolt lugs.  This would allow the bolt to slam into the barrel extension during firing.

Pending your findings, I may send mine in for inspection and headspacing as necessary...keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:20:35 AM EDT
[#6]
link has been updated with better pics
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top