Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/5/2006 3:04:30 AM EDT
I just put together a rifle for a friend at work, he was shooting it when it locked up tight.   I did the buttstroke on the ground and got the action to open but the live round is thoroughly stuck.   Getting it out isnt the issue, I'll take care of that.   Other than a severely out of spec round what else could cause the trouble?   I'm thinking a rolled in case neck at the crimp or something like that.   Possibly a piece of the previous case stuck in the chamber?   He said it fired fine up until it locking up solid.

The extractor took a good chunk of the case rim off trying to pull it out.   It is LC brass with nato cross.  

After I get it apart I hope to be able to see what caused it but I suspect the round will be mutilated by the process.

Btw the plan of action is to push it with a cleaning rod.   Failing a simple push I will dump WD40 down the bore and commence to knocking it out.   Obviously I wont be looking down the bore when doing this.   The BCG is already removed.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Got it out, it appears that during the sizing process the center of the case was slightly buckled.  You cant really see it as much as feel it.   It was a gunshow reload.   ( yes the dreaded gunshow special)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Not my rifle or reloads.   I strongly suggested he stick to factory ammo.   Wolf runs fine and is just as cheap.  

He did buy from a commercial loader and kept the guys business card.   I suggested he buy a case gauge and run them through it to ensure it doesnt happen again.   He has 800 of these remaining.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top