Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 3:42:00 PM EDT
I (like others recently) have been having short stroking problems.  When I would shoot, I did notice a lot of smoke coming out from under the gas block.  When I got home and inspected the rifle, I noticed my gas block was very loose and could be pulled right off the barrel.  So, I put it back into place and tightened the set screws on the bottom.

My question is, before I go back to the range, how do I verify that the gas block is properly aligned?  There didn't seem to be any dimples or anything for the set screws to line up with.  I am new to the AR-15 platform and I just wanted to double check what I did to avoid any possible unsafe shooting conditions.

If it helps any, I have a RRA 16" Varmiter.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Install the gas tube into the new gas block and pin it in place. Using the gas port in the barrel as a guide, mark top dead center on the barrel's shoulder. Mark the center of the gas block at its rear, slide it onto the barrel back to the shoulder, and align your two marks. If you are not re-using the handguard cap, at least allow for its thickness and space the gas block that much forward of the barrel's shoulder. Use red Loc-Tite on the gas block's screws and tighten them down.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

P.S. If you do find that you will need to remove the block loctited setscrews at a latter date, best to insert a old allen wrench into the setscrew, then use a torch to heat the wrench it’s self to transfer the head down to break the loctite bond

Thats a slick way of doing it...

I use a 260 watt soldering gun to heat small screws to break down the loctite... If my soldering gun ever punks out on me I now know of another method to use...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top