Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 10:59:04 AM EDT
The upper is/was a CMMG/DPMS Flat top Upper, 1:7 twist, 14.5” barrel with vortex permanently attached, purchase about 2 years ago.

Had a brand new(2 years ago) RRA BC/B mated with it. Shot about  2k+ rounds through it flawlessly. Most of them were wolf polymer and never had a problem. They all ejected and shot it for over a year with no problems. As I had shot the same batches of ammo through 2 other AR’s as well.

A couple of months back had a major jam in it. Another guy was shooting it and it didn’t eject the spent shell. Well he loaded several mags into it without checking to see if it was clear and kept ramming another shell into it while the spent one was still in it. long story short…Tried everything to knock the shell out, bent a few rods etc.

I had to have the upper removed from the barrel. Then had to drill the spent casing out of the barrel.

Then I sent it the barrel to Adco and had Steve install a brand new RRA A4 flat top upper to the DPMS/CMMG barrel, bought a new BC/B with the crane d-ring installed as well to basically complete the upper again.

Received the upper with brand new BC/B, slapped it on my lower and went to the range. A new batch of ammo loaded (wolf polymer) in a group of random mags. Was shooting one of my other AR’s just fine.

Inserted a mag into the gun and pulled the trigger. ONE SHOT. That’s it. It didn’t eject the shell. I tried to clear it manually by using the charging handle. Then went to the buttstock on the ground method. That didn’t work. Then tried to rod it out to the point where I bent the cleaning rod. I let it cool, put lube in it from the muzzle and from the chamber, kept trying to rod it.

And it’s still stuck.

What could be causing this to jam to this extent that a rod wont knock it off? Is there something wrong with the chamber or the barrel?

The fact that I have fired 2k+ rounds of wolf through it, and then all of a sudden jams like a rock, baffles me.

Any ideas to remove the casing and what to check to prevent further jamming?

Edit: When i was trying to knock the casing out, i had already removed the upper from the lower and had removed the BC/B as well, so it was an empty upper.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#1]
i also had this happen with wolf ammo and a bushmaster bbl. point of my story is that if you are going to shoot wolf, bring a sturdy rod so you can ram it out while the barrel is still hot and expanded some. i bent two small rods on one and had to use a heavy gauge plastic coated one peice metal rod to finally hammer the case out. i broke the plastic handle while doing it and it's now my perm. wolf ammo extractor. keep hammering, it'll come out.

btw, on a new barrel i like to shoot quality hot ammo (XM193 or black hills 55gr.) for the first 500 rounds or so. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
...and scrub the heck out of the chamber with a chamber brush.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree. I would use normal ammo to break-in the chamber (basically just using the rifle for awhile) before trying Wolf ammo. Keep the chamber as clean and dry as possible when you're not using the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Thanks for all the replies.

The barrel is NOT new. I had 2000+ rounds through it before. Chamber must be a bit sensitive and fouled.

If and when I get this case UNSTUCK, i am gonna scrub the hell out of this chamber and all the other AR's as well.

My main concern is getting the round out without damaging the barrel.

This weekend, I plan on putting it on a vice, buying a solid cleaning rod and trying to knock the case out. Hopefully that is.

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top