Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2006 6:56:26 PM EDT
Anyone ever have problems with the pins on a Bushmaster FSB? I'm having a hell of a time drifting these bad boys out! Does bushmaster use adhesive on these? I'm going to try the heat gun next to see if that helps.

Anyone have this problem and or have a solution?

Also, after I drifted out the gas tube roll pin the tube itself wont budge! Damn you Bushmaster!!!!aarrrggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I just took of a factory bushy FSB and it was EZ... But some blocks of wood under it and *( WACK )* the pins. Make sure you push them out the proper way. They are tapered.  it only takes one good hit and they almost push out after that.

The key is a          B I G    H A M M E R

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Invisiblesoul has the right idea. Ensure you are hitting the pins from the correct direction, back up your rifle on a solid surface, use a nail punch that conforms to the curvature of the pins and give it a good wack! A section of 2X4 with a hole drilled in it for the pin to fall into is a good backing to rest your rifle on. Don’t try to tap the pins out on a table top or flexible work bench, your energy is being absorbed by the table tops flexing.

As far as the gas tube is concerned.  Buy some penetrating oil and shoot a bit down the back of the FSB where the tube inserts. Take a pair of vice grips and wrap the jaws with electrical tape. Lightly clamp the vice grips to the gas tube with out crushing it. Now try to wiggle the tube out. If it still won’t budge a light tap with a hammer to the vice grips should do the trick.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
did you get it ?

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As far as the gas tube is concerned.  Buy some penetrating oil and shoot a bit down the back of the FSB where the tube inserts. Take a pair of vice grips and wrap the jaws with electrical tape. Lightly clamp the vice grips to the gas tube with out crushing it. Now try to wiggle the tube out. If it still won’t budge a light tap with a hammer to the vice grips should do the trick.

You can also use those spring loaded clamps that wood shops use , the ones with rubber noses, to grip the gas tube and twist it out with a turning/pulling motion. They can be found at any Home Depot or Lowes. Just be careful not to force it too much. Because of the rubber tip , it will not mar/scratch the gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Never got the FSB off!!! Gas tube came off with a pair of pliers coated with duct tape and very little presure.
Used the 2x4 as support with some starret punches and a 4lb hammer and no luck!!!! SAid F' it and did the barrel swap without taking teh fsb off. I wanted to get it off only as practice. Guess that didnt work!
Thansk for the help though guys
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Now that you have the barrel off Wack on that thing

Invisiblesoul
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top