Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:21:12 PM EDT
For some reason, my ejection port dust cover door won't close. I can close it, but I have to use a small screw driver to push the pin down in order to get it closed. Anyone else ever have this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Suggestions welcome

Thanks,

Gene
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a slightly out of spec detent or upper. No worries. Use a fine file to take off a slight bit of material from the detent, put a drop or two of oil on the detent, and try again. Repeat until you are happy. Out of spec stuff happens all the time, rarely will a rifle go together perfectly without the aid of a file and/or some lube.
Hope this helps.

Oh, and by the way, I completely removed the dust cover on my gun. My gun sits in a padded case most of the time so I'm not to worried about sand getting stuck in my bolt. It's one less part I have to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd clean it and lube it real well and cycle it a bunch before I'd start filing.  It might be a spot of dirt in there holding up the works.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for your suggestions.

I'll try the really good cleaning first. I can just punch out the roll pin that holds in the detent and spring right?
If that doesn't fix it, I'll try the filing.

Thanks again,

Gene
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top