Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 10:25:47 AM EDT
I recently picked up a Rock River Car. and am having issues with feeding the next round. The rifle ejects the spent shell every time but often will not feed the next round. Once and a while the bolt will be half open. I have this with several different mags including composite, alum. and steel. Also experience this with all types of ammo ( PMC, Federal. Wolf ). When I got the rifle I disassembled, cleaned and lightly lubed. All appears good and the mag appears to be seated correctly. Any ideas from anyone ? I really have been impressed with the appearance and finish and it is a real tack driver but effectively only a single shot at this point. Thanks for advice you may have.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked your magazines? Try some new, name-brand mags with self-leveling followers and see if this problem continues. Thermelts and steel mags are notorious for feeding problems.

Also, is this rifle new? If it's not new, how strong is the recoil spring?

Finally, are you cleaning the rifle properly, disassembling the BCG, etc?

These are just some ideas to start thinking about. I really can't tell you exactly why it's not feeding right without knowing more details about how it's failing to feed and exactly where the round is getting stuck. If none of the ideas work, post back with more details and we'll go from there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the bolt lock open after you fire the last round in a magazine?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I recently picked up a Rock River Car. and am having issues with feeding the next round. The rifle ejects the spent shell every time but often will not feed the next round. Once and a while the bolt will be half open. I have this with several different mags including composite, alum. and steel. Also experience this with all types of ammo ( PMC, Federal. Wolf ). When I got the rifle I disassembled, cleaned and lightly lubed. All appears good and the mag appears to be seated correctly. Any ideas from anyone ? I really have been impressed with the appearance and finish and it is a real tack driver but effectively only a single shot at this point. Thanks for advice you may have.

Is the bolt binding in the carrier? Pull the carrier group out and see if the bolt moves freely back and forth in the carrier.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking a mag issue too, but you said you've tried several different mags.  I would try some good USGI mags and if you still have a problem send it back and have them fix it.  They are great people to deal with and they have a rep that monitors this board.  Having a RRA problem is rare from with I have seen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses, I will answer the best I can.
Caneau - I have two D&H mags that work fine in my buddy's Bushmaster but not in my RRA
                Yes it is a new rifle
                 My cleaning is based on my experience ( H&K91, MiNI 14\30 )and info gotten off this  
                      site.
Triple D - Yes\no ...the bolt stays locked after the last round about half the time only.

M4arc - The carrier group does seem to slide freely ....after cleaning I apply a very light coating of
                       Tetra Lube ( grease ) on the bolt rails that contact the reciever
Wolfox - Have tried 2 different USGI mags ( D&H ) with the same results (bad). I will try advice
                        you all have given before contacting RRA.
Randall - I will check the gas key screws. the gas rings looked fine and not aligned. the gas tube
                        end also looked good. how would I check for a undersized bolt or oversized bore ?
I will look into all the above suggestions yet this week and report what happens. One other thing I should have noted is that the longer ( more rounds ) I shoot the less problems I have and that Wolf ammo gives me the fewest issues ( believe that ? ). Does this mean anything ? Thanks for all the advice guys , I'll let you know what I find.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
With regards to the Tetra Grease, I've had different results. I once experimented with applying Tetra Grease to my AR and it actually felt like it had more resistance as the bolt got dirtier, since all the carbon got caught in the grease. Either way though, I never had any problems with it cycling. YMMV

But...I do agree that an oil based lube or CLP will probably work better.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Don't grease the bolt carrier.
It slows the movement of the carrier in the receiver.
This is likely the cause of short stroking you are getting.
CLP would be the preferred lube for the carrier.
2 drops on each of the 4 ribs that ride in the receiver.
You can grease the cam pin and the carrier cam cuts if you choose, but CLP everywhere else is all you ever really need in the AR-15.

One other thing I should have noted is that the longer ( more rounds ) I shoot the less problems I have.

Makes sense, the grease is getting worn off and the carrier can start moving freely.
Replace the grease with CLP, keep shooting it, sounds like it's just breaking in.

+1 for using CLP...

Like I always say, grease is for gears and bearings and has no purpose on gun parts...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Randall - caneau - shootersden ............. thanks for the input. I have cleaned the bolt and reciever of grease and applied CLP and will give it a try this weekend. I had applied the grease because others had told me that after awhile the steel bolt will wear on the aluminum reciever......none of my other rifles have an aluminum reciever.... is there any truth to this ?? Or is this valid only after 100,000 rounds or so or just BS ??? Anyway I'll try it without and see if my issues go away ...........thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top