Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 10:20:52 PM EDT
I've moved this topic from "build" section to here:

I've just received a spare pigtail gastube for my 6.5" AR from the guy that made them for olyarms (my ar is olyarms BTW), but I have trouble fitting it correctly. It seems that the original one (ruptured) was somewhat differently bended; it fitted correctly either the barrel nut hole and the FSB hole.

The new one, however, is straighter, and does not fit corretcly; I've included some comparison photos and photos of the original one put in barrel and the new one also:

My question is: what would be the correct way to fix the new (shinier) gastube? how can I bend the tube without ruining it?

Any info REALLY appreciated, thanks gentlemans.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Gawd..26 views and no answer..guess that those pigtails are not in use by anyone..damn..
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry partner, most of us here use straight gas tubes. Out of curiosity, what's the purpose of a pig tail anyway? Is it to cool the gases and decrease the volume and therefore pressure of the gases?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the reason for a pigtail is to have a longer gastube in a short barrel, therefore slowing down the pressure curve and allowing for a slower recoil impulse.

My pigtail gastube BTW is 45cm long (16inches and somewhat).
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you so much for advice, Randall.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the most time consuming task I've ever done on a weapon, and I've tweaked more than one..

However, surfing the net searching for inputs, I've learned something about tube bending: particularly one bending machine caught my attention:

The wheel on the machine was like a giant steel pulley, and, given the fact that I was into modelcraft and miniatures in my youth, give me food for tought..

I acquired from a hardware store some small pulleys (you know the ones your mom use for drying clothes hanged on a wire on summer), a brass one and another two made of hard lexan..I used the padded jaws of my vise in order to have leverage, and the pulley (that has an inside diameter almost identical to the OD of the gastube) to form CAUTIOUSLY a bend.

I used the brass (larger) pulley to bend the back end of the tube and the small one for the front:

Now the tube is slowly fitting perfectly, almost done..the thing now that is driving me nuts is that the metal guard that cometh with the original pigtail is not fitting...

Damn, that pigtail thing is becoming THE HOLY QUEST OF THE UNDERDOG AGAINST A PIGTAIL GASTUBE...hehehe..

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top