Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:32:09 PM EDT
My boss just assembled his first AR kit and installed an Accu-wedge a week later.  The first mag he put in dumped when he touched the trigger.  He pulled the Accu-wedge and it has'nt done it since.  What would cause this to happen?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
He better register that bad boy, and get a letter from the alphabet boys.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats the problem its a new Bushmaster  lower w/ a Model1Sales upper kit.  He put the wedge in and thats when it dumped.  He has since pulled the wedge back out and disposed of it until he finds out why it did it.  Is it possible to install it wrong?  What malfunction would cause that to happen?  For obvious reasons he does'nt want any problems of this nature.  As said above,  he does'nt want a visit from the alphabet boys.  Myself I've always made it a point not to mess with anyone that has the authority to have my ass violated.  Its gotten me this far in life!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The wedge might be causing the hammer to not lock back and hook onto the disconnector. Essentially, the hammer is riding the bolt forward rather than reaching the disconnector and recocking. I have a hard time seeing how this would happen if installed properly, but it's just about the only thing that comes to mind. The upper/lower play is cosmetic only. It's never been proven that a slightly sloppy lower has any impact on accuracy, since all of your sights and barrel are both rigidly mounted to the upper.
If your boss really wants to fix it and an Accu-Wedge isn't working out, then the JP Rifles Tension Pin is the way to go. Pricy and a PITA to use if you're taking down the rifle a lot, but not a bad way to go if this is just a range gun. You just gotta have the hex key ready when you disassemble your gun.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
No its not actually important at all.  He has no intention to tighten the gun up at all again.  But I was personally left woundering what in the world would cause that to happen.  I myself questioned the installation.  I don't know his experience assembling and did'nt get to see it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see this potentially happening if the Accu-Wedge is installed backwards with the notch pointed towards the stock. I don't use an Accu-Wedge to test my theory, but I can see how a hammer, especially one of the old-style AR-15 hammers with the added notch, may not be able to reach the disconnector if the wedge is there in the way. I myself would like to see how it happened though. Who knows, maybe we'll all have to register the Accu-Wedge as an auto sear
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmmmm........I'm seeing a jump in Accuwedge (Autosear) sales in the near future.  If it were only that easy ehh.  But I'm stinkin the boys that enforce the NFA may have a different theory.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He put the wedge in and thats when it dumped.  He has since pulled the wedge back out and disposed of it until he finds out why it did it.

Uh... I'll buy it!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My boss just assembled his first AR kit and installed an Accu-wedge a week later.  The first mag he put in dumped when he touched the trigger.  He pulled the Accu-wedge and it has'nt done it since.  What would cause this to happen?

Has your boss since tried reinstalling the accu-wedge to see if it happens again? Also has anyone tried intentionally installing it backwards to see if that works?hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#9]
No he did'nt want problems with the boys from the alphabet bunch.  So he discarded his accu-wedge.  Figured it was best to stay away from anything even the least bit questionable.  Its been shooting fine without it since.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a idea, have him install it the correct way, which is the little upper tab rearward behind the upper rear lug, instead of the way he had it.

His incorrect way was putting pressure on the disconnector tail, and causing all the problems (read hammer disco slip at bolt closer impact).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought we already figured this out...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top