Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:34:30 PM EDT
Hey guys just built a ar -model 1 upper rock river lower.
Took it out first 60 rounds great.
Then  it  would not eject .
The bolt carrier would not eject or reload not even move back a bit.
any ideas???
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks german55
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt carrier is stuck forward?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you cycle the BC by using the charging handle?

If you can and the BC does not cycle when firing I would suspect you're loseing gas somewhere.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:22:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:39:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey Tweak,glad you changed your avatar the other one was scary.
This one is just frightening.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, Think most think it is a gas issue.
The upper is a model 1 upper m-4 -has the tapered barrel-I did take the front site off to put a quad rail on -when I put the site back on ,I put it back on to where the pin fit back in the hole.
I can pull back the charger  each time to eject and reload.
Like I said it ran great for the first 60 the just quit.
I have built a few ak's-But this is my first ar {other wise im slow on the part names}
Gas tube roll pin? and the carrier keys?
Thanks Brent
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Gas tube roll pin secures gas tube to Front Sight Base.

Bolt carrier key mounted to bolt carrier via two small hex screws should be staked
(perm).Common problem for gas leakage check torque and re stake.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
+ 1 on the gas problem.
Start by checking everything to do with the gas system. Is your gas port open, not somehow damaged, and lined up with your FSB? Is your gas tube properly seated in your FSB and is the roll pin intact? Is the gas tube not somehow bent, warped from overheating, punctured, etc? Is the gas tube lining up properly with your carrier key and is there any damage to the tip of the gas tube? Are your gas rings lined up by accident or somehow damaged?

If you're lucky, you'll see a bit of carbon deposit where you have a leak in the gas system. Occasionally you can also feel where the system is leaking.

As for solutions, first I'd start by giving your rifle a good cleaning. Next, clean out using pipe cleaners or replace the gas tube. They'll usually ship with their own roll pin, so you can replace the one your current gas tube's using, in case it's been damaged. If you can, try a different bolt and carrier key. A long shot, but also make sure your charging handle or forward assist isn't damaged in some way that's causing the bolt to lock forward.

One last question, when it gets stuck, is the gun still in battery or does it unlock and get stuck about half way?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
+ 1 on the gas problem.
Start by checking everything to do with the gas system. Is your gas port open, not somehow damaged, and lined up with your FSB? Is your gas tube properly seated in your FSB and is the roll pin intact? Is the gas tube not somehow bent, warped from overheating, punctured, etc? Is the gas tube lining up properly with your carrier key and is there any damage to the tip of the gas tube? Are your gas rings lined up by accident or somehow damaged?

If you're lucky, you'll see a bit of carbon deposit where you have a leak in the gas system. Occasionally you can also feel where the system is leaking.

As for solutions, first I'd start by giving your rifle a good cleaning. Next, clean out using pipe cleaners or replace the gas tube. They'll usually ship with their own roll pin, so you can replace the one your current gas tube's using, in case it's been damaged. If you can, try a different bolt and carrier key. A long shot, but also make sure your charging handle or forward assist isn't damaged in some way that's causing the bolt to lock forward.

One last question, when it gets stuck, is the gun still in battery or does it unlock and get stuck about half way?

When it gets stuck ,it is in the battery-
I just took her apart looking at what some of you suggested as possible problems.
On top of the bolt carrier-The piece with the two hex head screws,was real loose. Could it be that easy?? How do you prevent them backing out?? Can you use a weak loctite?
Any info like always greatly appreciated.
German55
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
On top of the bolt carrier-The piece with the two hex head screws,was real loose. Could it be that easy?? How do you prevent them backing out?? Can you use a weak loctite?

Why, yes it could be that easy.

How to do it...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How to do it...

Thanks friend and thanks alot guy.
It was real lose really leaning towards it to be the problem.
German55
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How to do it...

Thanks friend and thanks alot guys.
It was real lose really leaning towards it to be the problem.
German55

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Torque the screws to 35-40 INCH pounds, and then stake them as shown in the other thread.  You'll be good to go!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top