Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:46:01 PM EDT
After reading the forum and the good reports for J&T, I ordered an M-4 upper from them.  It arrived today and while cleaning the bore I felt the patch hang up a bit.  Checking the bore I notice a burr at the gas port.  Is it possible to polish that out myself?  I really don't want to go through the hassle of sending it back if possible.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not worry about the bur. I would shoot the gun. The bur will be gone after you fire a couple of rounds. Burs on gas ports are common on new barrels. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate the response.  I'll give it a workout this weekend.  Thanks!

Tom
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they don't shoot out but they do get smaller, they can contribute to stripping of the bullet jacket which along with the pieces of the burr wearing off can occlude the gas port.

occlude?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#5]
OCCLUDE: obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up -- (block passage through; ``obstruct the path'' )
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Had a burr on a M-4 barrel.   It would get pieces of  jacket in it and cause malfunctions within about 200 rounds.  I just used a drill bit slightly smaller  than the gas port  and leaned on the burr side and it took it right out,  DON"T get carried away though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would not worry about the bur. I would shoot the gun. The bur will be gone after you fire a couple of rounds. Burs on gas ports are common on new barrels. Charles the Gunsmith.  

+1... A couple shots, burrs usually gone...

Ive never experienced one that was stubborn and wouldn't shoot out... Not saying that it doesnt happen, just never has happened to me...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top