Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:26:09 PM EDT
How do I go about putting a sling stud in my FF tube? It is a solid alum. one from Oly. then how do I get the exact center bottom???
Thanks
TODD

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Todd,

Find a friend with a mill. I just did my free float tube and it was simple as pie.

Mount the tube in the vice, I left mine on the upper. Wrap paper tape around the tube to protect the finish. Move the table in exactly on half tube diameter and center over where you want the stud. Use a parallel on the flat part of the upper, where it mounts to the lower, to level the upper to the table. Drill away.

I used a sling adapter from Bronells' the #2 adapter I think it was.

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you can also use a drill press, chuck the assembled upper upside down in a machinist's vise, set a level across the flats on the bottom of the upper and level the assembly. Drop the drill until it just kisses the top of the FF then walk the handguard across the tip of the bit, the bit will score the highest point. Center drill the score and install the stud using a hex nut, don't drill and tap the handguard, it's a very weak interface.

Do it EXACTLY this way, and you won't be disappointed!

Tack
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top