Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 11:58:05 AM EDT
I just bought a new Bushy lower from a dealer here on the board and have a slight problem. When trying to put the upper on the lower I have a really hard time fastening the front take-down pin. I actually had to smash it in with a "safety hammer." Damn thing would not go in otherwise! I have three Bushy uppers and its the same way on all. My other lowers fit perfectly on my uppers. Anything I could do? Anyone had this problem? (If it even is a problem.)

Thanks in advance!

Riese
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Front take down detent pin and spring are tight.  
Short of pulling the front pivot pin (read shooting the detent and spring across the room), just use a little lube on the parts until the detent and pin mate in.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Front pin first?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, this is really annoying (sp??) now. I've tried to lube it and break it in but it just doesn;t work. Can I just take out the spring and cut it a bit to make it looser? I was also thinking about a dremel job. What do you guys think?

Riese
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Might be something in the hole blocking the spring from going all the way in,spin a drill bit down the hole by figner only, a burr or something.

Make sure you have correct parts?  

If you have the correct spring you should not have to cut it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the exact same problem with a Stag lower.  The problem turned out to be an out of spec pivot pin, not the lower.  I ordered a RRA pivot pin and everything is smooth now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
First - you dont have a front takedown pin.  The front pin is a pivot pin, the rear is a takedown pin.

Now - check it WITHOUT putting an upper on.  Is it tight going in and out?  

If so - remove the pin, and then remove the spring and detent.  Now slide the pin back in - if this is tight - your pin is likely out of spec.  Replace.

If it is smooth without the spring and detent - san the tip of your detent to round it a bit - prematurely wear/break-in.  Also - look at your spring - insert it in the lower.  Does it stick out when fully seated?  If so, you can clip coils to where it is just flush, or just slightly recessed in the lower.  This is a common fix and aids in getting it all back together.  Then reassemble and use some grease on the detent and pin.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top