Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2005 6:13:20 PM EDT
I have 2 others that I've built and they run perfect.

This last one I built seems to have a problem loading the first round. Don't know if the mags are maybe too stiff or what. The bolt goes about an inch and stops (with the roundpushed halfway out of the mag), will usually feed the round if I use the FA. Is my recoil spring possibly too weak, it's not that old... (I took it off with the stock from my first AR that I upgraded after the ban and had kept it so I put it on my new one, it hadn't been used too much before the AWB sunset).

Everything else is brand new.

I haven't tried loading it when the mags are downloaded yet...

Also, the bolt does not hold open on the last shot... unless I pull the CH back and push in on the lower part of the bolt release, and even then it doesn't hold very good... Sometimes it will slam shut as I am putting a new mag in there.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what you mean by "binding", but I don't think so... It just seems like the mag springs may not be strong enough to hold against the bolt catch.

I am guessing that this just needs to be worked in more... but I am not sure.

As for the feeding, I suspect a weak recoil spring...

I have tried putting a full mag in and hand cycling each round... it seems to catch "most" of the time on each individual round (when I was shooting, it on;y had issues on the first round, loading), but most specifically when the even or "right-side" round in the mag (30, 28, 26, 24... etc...) is up...

Wierd...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Try backing out the stock screw mine was too long,same prob.If A1-A2.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try backing out the stock screw mine was too long,same prob.If A1-A2.

There's a thought. It's loc-tited in there pretty tight but that could be the issue.

It's a shorty "entry" stock with a 1" extension.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Tweak-  You've got E-Mail ref this subject.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
does the face of the bolt come behind the bolt catch ~ 1/8" when you retract the carrier with the charging handle?

Sorry to piggyback this thread but, I've got a similar problem where the bolt catch does not engauge (unless I press on the bottom of it while retracting the charging handle).

If I pull the charging handle back with an empty magazine, it acts as if the mag springs aren't quite strong enough to engauge it.  This happens with all of my mags (GI contract).

I pulled the bolt catch and replaced it with a new assmbly.

Still acting the same.  When I do it manually the bolt it blocked by the catch (bolt retracts well past the catch).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Respectfully,
Automatic
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
with the upper off does the bolt catch lift when you insert an empty mag?

It lifts it approx ½ of the distance that's needed to engauge the bolt catch.  If I push on the bottom of the bolt catch, I can see the magazine follower rise with the catch while doing this.

No, didn't replace the spring (I have a new one and will try that).  I did ream out the hole & make sure the spring and poppet do not bind in the lower.

Almost seems like there might be some binding where the pin goes through the bolt catch.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
 Automatic
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a follow up.

I got it taken care of. The screw in the buttstock was too long.

When I would pull the CH back, you could still look at the ejection port and see about .5" of the bolt, so it wasn't coming back far enough...

THANKS for all the help!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

quite common, without the spring and detent the bolt catch should rattle around on the roll pin. make sure you don't have a disconnector spring under the bolt catch.

Just wanted to say thanks... I replaced the spring and the detent & made sure the bolt catch had some play around the roll pin.

Working like a charm now.

Appreciate the help & patients with us noobs.

Merry Christmas to you & yours.

Automatic
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top