Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2005 3:12:01 PM EDT
Took my rifle to the range today, and ran approx 100 - 110 or so rounds of Wolf 55 gr. ammo through it. The barrel was smoking and the rifle was nice and hot, when it happened:

Fail to feed. It stripped a round off of the magazine, but didn't fully chamber.

Ok, no big deal I though, remove magazine, and the offending round was still half in the magazine.
The bolt slammed forward, and didn't want to come back out. (no round was chambered)
It was stuck in there pretty good.

It took smacking the charging handle down on the edge of the shooting bench to get the bolt to move to the rear.

I let the rifle cool, and the bolt moves a bit more freely, but it still is hard to release when I let it slam forward from the locked rear position.

Mega lower, RRA 16" upper. Approx 600 rounds through it total with no malfunctions aside from this one.

I suspect that the chamber may be dirty and that may be causing the bolt to stick when it's released forward.

Could this be the cause? Do I even make sense?
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I wan't able to tell yesterday when I was firing. Before the malfunction, it did. After the malfunction, I removed the magazine, and the bolt was too hard to get back for me to try more than once... once I successfully locked the bolt back manually, I left it alone to cool.

I haven't had a chance to look at it today; I had an issue with a stupid deer trying to run in front of my car on the way home... it lost the race, my car is slightly crumpled... I'll look more at it tomorrow if I can.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Open it up is the buffer retainer in place.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It's going to be a while before I touch my rifle or any gun for that matter. They're over at my parents house... I'm currently dealing with the tragic loss of my wife of 16+ years...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...I'm currently dealing with the tragic loss of my wife of 16+ years...

Sorry to hear that. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I'm currently dealing with the tragic loss of my wife of 16+ years...

Sorry to hear that. Hang in there.

+1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all. It's hard, but we'll manage.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top