Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2005 8:10:34 AM EDT
When I rack it back and let the charging handle go, the carrier stops halfway to battery.  I don't walk the charging handle neither.

The upper is a Bushamster Dissy and the lower is a Cav MKII lower.  
I was having extracting problems and had the extractor spring changed but now the bolt gets stuck halfway.

Everything is super clean and lubed.
Please help.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#1]
does it happen with the mag out or mag in??

remove bolt from bolt carrier and slide the bolt carrier in to the upper receiver (when it's shotgunned open).

does the bolt carrier go all the way down?

more specifically, do the gas key and gas tube align properly??

with the upper held at a 45 degree angle slide the bolt carrier into the upper receiver.  Hold the bolt carrier about 2 to 3 inches out of the receiver and release it, it should slide down and the gas key slide over the gas tube with little or no interference.   The bolt carrier should slide home.

report back with results.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The bolt slides  home when it's shotgunned open and no there isn't a mag in at all.  I'm assuming that the key is properly alligned since it slides in without any restriction when it's the upper and lower is cracked open.  The only other thing I can think of is that I replaced the buffer spring detent and detent spring too.  Could it be hanging up there and if so is there a certain detent used for Cav lowers?

Thanks for you help man.
cp

Quoted:
does it happen with the mag out or mag in??

remove bolt from bolt carrier and slide the bolt carrier in to the upper receiver (when it's shotgunned open).

does the bolt carrier go all the way down?

more specifically, do the gas key and gas tube align properly??

with the upper held at a 45 degree angle slide the bolt carrier into the upper receiver.  Hold the bolt carrier about 2 to 3 inches out of the receiver and release it, it should slide down and the gas key slide over the gas tube with little or no interference.   The bolt carrier should slide home.

report back with results.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#3]
do you mean the buffer retaining pin and spring??
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, sorry.  I called Cavarms and they suggested not using the retaining pin and spring.  I'll give that a try.  What do you think?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Also make certain that the bolt carrier isn't hanging up on the hammer (or bolt catch).  You've thouroughly function checked the lower I hope.  What configuration is your BC?

If you have a full circle BC it's possible that it might be snagging the back of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm still somewhat of a newbie with ARs and I've never heard of "full circle BC".  I'll post a pic when I get home of my BC.  The BC is made by Smith Enterprises and last Friday I took it down there.  They replaced some springs and cleaned it up a little bit.   When I was orginally having extrator issues a couple of months ago I swaped out the bolt from another AR and it worked fine, that's why I fugured that my extractor spring was worn out since it was a used BC.  When I pulled the ext. spring it was pretty weak with an O ring in there too.  

Quoted:
Also make certain that the bolt carrier isn't hanging up on the hammer (or bolt catch).  You've thouroughly function checked the lower I hope.  What configuration is your BC?

If you have a full circle BC it's possible that it might be snagging the back of the bolt carrier.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's pics of my bolt.  I also removed the buffer retaining pin and spring and it still won't go into battery.  I removed my bolt catch to see if it was hanging up there and it still doesn't work.  
Let me know what you think.
cp

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Post a pic of your hammer face cocked back

Looks like your hammer may be catchin your bolt.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Are these the pics you wanted?  If my hammer face is catching the bolt what do I need to do?

Quoted:
Post a pic of your hammer face cocked back

Looks like your hammer may be catchin your bolt.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#10]
The top of the hammer is it worn more than the rest the pic is fuzzy but it looks that way.
If so do a test run without the hammer installed and see if it still hangs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#11]
more specifically, your hammer may be catching/dragging on your firing pin.

try this just for fun.

remove the firing pin from the bolt and run the bolt carrier through the upper to see if it still catches.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
The hampper does look a little worn there.  What do I need to do if it's hanging there?

Quoted:
The top of the hammer is it worn more than the rest the pic is fuzzy but it looks that way.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I took the hammer out and guess what???  It didn't hang.  Do I need a different hammer or can I just modifiy this one?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#15]
tweak has a pic of a hammer and the area that should be relieved.

lemme see if I can find it.

from the FAQ's:

"When used with slotted bolt carriers, hooked hammers can catch the underside of the firing pin, especially if the firing pin has a larger spool on it like those intended for the M16. The hammer will force the pin rearward against the firing pin retaining pin during the battery stroke. With repetition, this will bend the firing pin retaining pin. Sometimes the firing pin retaining pin is a simple, non-hardened, cotter pin. Some of these bend rather quickly. If you hold the trigger to the rear while working the bolt back and forth with the charging handle and the catch disappears you probably have an issue between the hammer and the firing pin. The best fix is to use a shrouded bolt carrier. You can also round the hook on the hammer to prevent it from snagging on the firing pin spool. A short trigger can also cause this by allowing the hammer to sit up too high when cocked."

your best bet is to get a shrouded bolt carrier.

still looking for the pic.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Just get a new hammer. This has happened to me once as well. Your best bet is to get a new hammer from someone. Ill see if I can stir you up one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you everyone!!!
cp

Quoted:
Just get a new hammer. This has happened to me once as well. Your best bet is to get a new hammer from someone. Ill see if I can stir you up one tomorrow.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
best bet is a fully shrouded bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
best bet is a fully shrouded bolt carrier.

+1
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Tweak!

(my search-Fu is very weak...........)

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Shrouded bolt carrier or new hammer???  Where do I begin???
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#23]
shrouded bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Shrouded carrier but in the mean time you could just run your hammer along a grinder for a sec and that would be a quick fix. Just shave it back to the white line in the pic. Hammers are alot cheaper than a new carrier

I dont have a spare ( I was thinking I did) but Im sure someone here does just post in the WTB Forum and someone will help.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#25]
What is the worst that can happen by me shaving the hammer down?

Quoted:
Shrouded carrier but in the mean time you could just run your hammer along a grinder for a sec and that would be a quick fix. Just shave it back to the white line in the pic. Hammers are alot cheaper than a new carrier

I dont have a spare ( I was thinking I did) but Im sure someone here does just post in the WTB Forum and someone will help.

Link Posted: 11/8/2005 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, you can shave too much off of the step and it won't be pushed down far enough to reset the hammer, but, you may as well try at this point.  You would be surprised how much you can take off before it will not reset.  Just grind a 1/16" off at a time and try to smooth out the sharp surface and you should be O.K.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Hello

I had the same problem with a eagle lower i had that was slightly out of spec holes drilled just a c hair to high turns out there are differant hammer hights and if you have a lower that is slightly out of spec (Yes it happens) then the taller one will not work it just scraps the 2 guides on the carrier i managed to get it to work better using a shilded carrier but it would still have feed and ejection problems

i had several hammers on hand so i was able to compare them and sure as shit they were differant heights and i replaced it with a shorter one and whola it was solved

not saying that for sure that is your problem but it sure sounds like it
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]
tweeter:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
tweeter:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

tag.  

i wanna see what's causing the problem and how it's gonna get fixed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tweeter:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

tag.  

i wanna see what's causing the problem and how it's gonna get fixed.

Um... I'm sorry but I feel the need to point out that there's a button labeled "SUBSCRIBE" that you can click on without posting a message to follow threads and then the Board software sends you an E-mail message when there is new stuff posted. Much handier than tagging....

My .02
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#33]
i like using "My Active Topics"

mostly because i'm lazy and a post whore.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#34]
After some grinding via the dremmel it now works perfectly.  I haven't taken it to the range yet but it seems to being going into battery just fine.  I attached some pics of the grinded hammer.  Thanks for everyone's help.

Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Me too, I just hope that it works at the range too.  

Quoted:
I like happy endings!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#37]
It didn't work out at the range.  First round fed and fired but then the next round got caught up and didn't feed properly.    Tried it 3 or 4 times and same problem...

UGH!!!

What's next fully shrouded bolt carrier???

Quoted:
Me too, I just hope that it works at the range too.  

Quoted:
I like happy endings!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
tweak has a pic of a hammer and the area that should be relieved.

lemme see if I can find it.

from the FAQ's:

"When used with slotted bolt carriers, hooked hammers can catch the underside of the firing pin, especially if the firing pin has a larger spool on it like those intended for the M16. The hammer will force the pin rearward against the firing pin retaining pin during the battery stroke. With repetition, this will bend the firing pin retaining pin. Sometimes the firing pin retaining pin is a simple, non-hardened, cotter pin. Some of these bend rather quickly. If you hold the trigger to the rear while working the bolt back and forth with the charging handle and the catch disappears you probably have an issue between the hammer and the firing pin. The best fix is to use a shrouded bolt carrier. You can also round the hook on the hammer to prevent it from snagging on the firing pin spool. A short trigger can also cause this by allowing the hammer to sit up too high when cocked."

your best bet is to get a shrouded bolt carrier.

still looking for the pic.

This is just a guess, but is your firing pin a "large spool type"?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't know, I'll have to post a pic in order for you to tell me or not.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#42]
How's the mag you are using? any unusual signs of getting hit in the rear on the lips or metal missing? The B/BC works fine with no mag. Replace empty, clean, well used mag. check. Is the carrier hitting the mag on the lips?  If that is OK try 1 round in mag . Could the round be hanging on the front of the mag? If that is OK try 20/30? to see if pressure is expanding lips and causing carrier to hit?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#43]
The bolt is sometimes hanging without a mag even in there.

Quoted:
How's the mag you are using? any unusual signs of getting hit in the rear on the lips or metal missing? The B/BC works fine with no mag. Replace empty, clean, well used mag. check. Is the carrier hitting the mag on the lips?  If that is OK try 1 round in mag . Could the round be hanging on the front of the mag? If that is OK try 20/30? to see if pressure is expanding lips and causing carrier to hit?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:14:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Sorry to be so vague.  Thanks for your help.  Tonight I will start the troubleshooting again.  I'm going to remove the hammer to see if it's still hanging up without it installed.  

Quoted:

Quoted:
The bolt is sometimes hanging without a mag even in there.

Well, that narrows it down.
The carrier, hammer, gas tube, gas key, buffer and buffer retainer are always in there.
Gotte be one of those.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Just tossed in my buddies oly arms bolt and carrier and my AR hang up halfway to battery.  So would you say now that it's my carrier?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Does the carrier/bolt  still hang up when you hold the trigger back and charge the rifle?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Yes, sorry.  I called Cavarms and they suggested not using the retaining pin and spring.  I'll give that a try.  What do you think?

Quoted:

Is there any chance you could swap the other (Oly) lower onto your upper?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top