Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2005 2:25:41 PM EDT
When I was shooting wolf I noticed that some casings were split at the end and I was told it was possibly a defective lot but I shot 3 different lots and some brass cased lake city.  It happened to all of them, not every shot but happened to all 4.  I loaded up a clip and just ran the bullets thru by  pulling the charging handle and some bullets had bad scratches on the bullet tip.  If someone could help me figure this out I would apprticate it.  I have pictures but I dont know how to put them on here

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've done a fair bit of reloading but I've never used Wolf. When you say split, Do you mean that you are getting small splits/cracks at the neck area? and this is "new" factory ammo?

After I've reloaded cases for the third/forth time I do find the odd split neck which I remove at my "quality Inspection" stage...
Brass does work harden and becomes brittle after resizing and shooting a few times. I am aware of brass age hardening and being tempremental under stress. Could this be due to old ammo?

Taffy
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The splits are at the neck and the ammo is all new and made in 2004 and 2005.  If you can tell me how to put a picture on here i can put one on here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Wolf is steel cased so it can't be reloaded.
sounds like you may have an out of spec chamber and pressure is spitting the cases
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
The ejection side barrel extension lug tip causes the scratches as you are cycling the ammo out by hand.  The ejector will put tension of the case, and as the tip clears the chamber cut, the tip smacks/scraps down this right lug.  During live fire, the barrel pressure holds the case solid on the bolt face, so these scraps are just hand cycle problems and are being caused on the way out of the chamber.

And since you may doubt me, load a single round, then as you draw the bolt back, put pressure on the right had side of the case before the bullet tip clears the chamber, then allow the tip to clear the barrel extension and take a good look at the case (read do not allow the cant to touch the lug tips.

Now if the XM-193 if neck splitting as well as the wolf (not just a chunk out of the XM-193 mouth*), then you have problems with the chamber.  Either the headspace is too long, or the mouth chamber cut was made too large and allowing the cases to balloon.  Bluntly, if this upper/rifle is splitting cases on everything you shoot, then it needs to go back and be checked by the shop/supplier.  If you bought this rig used, then chances are someone destroyed the chamber by incorrectly hand chamber polishing, and you need to either get your money back, or it’s time to pony up for a new barrel.

* Some of the XM-193 have end of necks that are bulged/folded, and when you shoot this defective round, that section of the mouth is going to shear off from the case.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top