Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2005 7:52:26 AM EDT
I have just nearly completed (awaiting the carbine stock wrench) a 16" carbine. I also have a 20" barrel I am planning to use for something else. The 20" came off another rifle, and came with a Colt 1/2 circle semi carrier.

Currently the carbine is wearing the Colt 1/2 circle carrier with a new CMT bolt.  

Anyway, I have two bolts, one carrier and two uppers, and a third upper on the way. So I need to start making some decisions.

The original Colt bolt goes with the 20" barrel...but regarding carriers:

Was planning to get CMT shrouded units.

Any mechanical/technical reason to use a 1/2 circle/light carrier in a rifle or carbine versus a full-weight carrier? Is there any mechanical advantage to having extra weight in regards to gas tube lenght, in/re reliability or function?  Or should I not worry 'bout it?

thanks for your thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#1]

Don't mix used bolts and used barrels.  The "shrouded unit" would be good if you want to do rapid fire/bump fire since it keeps the hammer from hanging up on the BCG.  The heavier carrier will smooth out the recoil a little.  Otherwise it makes no difference that I know of.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't mix used bolts and used barrels.  The "shrouded unit" would be good if you want to do rapid fire/bump fire since it keeps the hammer from hanging up on the BCG.  The heavier carrier will smooth out the recoil a little.  Otherwise it makes no difference that I know of.

Shok

Thanks - my intention was to keep the used bolt and barrel together (they came off the same Colt) but there seems to be no reason to do the same with the carrier itself.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top