Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2005 10:30:54 AM EDT
So I've used the search function but haven't found anything useful.

I am adding a can to my 16" RRA M4 barrel with 6 posn RRA stock (your basic LAR carbine).  Will I have buffer/overpressure problems that I should try to anticipate before I break something and have to come here asking what's wrong?

Are the PRI charging handles worth the effort?

Thanks in advance.  I feel like I get good information from this group here on troubleshooting.

Regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So I've used the search function but haven't found anything useful.

I am adding a can to my 16" RRA M4 barrel with 6 posn RRA stock (your basic LAR carbine).  Will I have buffer/overpressure problems that I should try to anticipate before I break something and have to come here asking what's wrong?

Are the PRI charging handles worth the effort?

Thanks in advance.  I feel like I get good information from this group here on troubleshooting.

Regards,

Rick

I'm not sure on the 5.56 stuff. But as far as the PRI gas buster charging handle goes. I'm looking at getting one. When I put the .22lr can on the AR with a conversion kit of .22lr I get a lot, and I mean a lot of blowback in my face. My shooting glasses showed it. Just from my experiances shooting the AR in .22lr with a can I'd say it's worth it. Another option that somone gave was to run  a small bead of caulk on the CH and that should help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, your going to get more back pressure from the can,  This can be countered by either using a adjustable gas tube to reduce the amount of pressure make it way back into the gas cycle (read bring the pressure back to normal), or you can go to a heavier buffer slow the cycle back down (read more mass means more pressure needed to cycle the action.

As for the gas buster, some silicone and a few minutes on the stock unit and you just saved yourself a lot of money.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
5 suggestions

1. Tungsten buffer

2. Pigtail gas tube or piston instead

3. adjustable gas tube valve

4. Oly pneumatic buffer?

5.  Call suppressor MFG and ask.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to start with a different buffer, if it comes to that.  Do you have suggestions?

This is going to be a slow.....  thread.  I just ordered the can and still have a bunch of paperwork to do.  I am a very patient man.

Thanks,

Rick
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Best starting point would be the H buffer (around $24).  The MGI is a heaver unit, but with the price tag on the unit, it is more of a Full auto cycling rate reducer for the M-16 Carbine class of weapons.

As for how far you go from there (read siliconed charging handle, or adjustable gas tube) really depends on the rifle once you can it and see just how bad the gas blow back it is to you (read spend some time with a M-16 9MM can'd and you get used to it really quick).
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.  I'll work with the material so far and will eventually report back.

Thanks, Y'all,

Rick
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top