Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/9/2005 10:05:55 PM EDT
So I just installed a Chip Mccormick single stage curved trigger into my Bushmaster lower.  One thing I noticed after the install is that my safety selector switch is now able to be switched on safe when the rifle is not cocked.  Is this normal or did I mess up someplace?  

Another question I have is what is the long screw protruding from the inside of the selector switch?  I didn't see it on the parts list so I guess it's a Bushmaster thing?  It's on the inside of the rifle and i had to unscew it so the selector switch could come out.

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't a clue,  I have yet to demo one out.

Maybe Tweak or someone else has gotten there hands on one, and can answer your questions.

As for the screw, is this a small allen head screw dead center of the middle of the selector?  If so, it sounds like a after-hammer release  trigger overtravel set screw that was added to the selector to limit the amount that the trigger can be pulled.  If this is the case, then it's not a stock Bushy thing (at least the last time I checked).  Also, if the unit is sporting a over travel screw, then I would almost bet that if you check the pistol grip threads, your going to find another set screw that is being used as a take up as well.

Again, I haven't played with a Mc trigger, so really not sure if either of these set screws are going to work with the new FCG in regards to adjusting it like the old FCG.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
With the safety set to the 'safe' position and the hammer cocked to the rear, pull the trigger. Does the trigger release the hammer? If so you have a MAJOR unsafe problem. Charles.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
With the hammer cocked to the rear, and the selector on safe, the trigger will not fire(so the safety fuctions properly).  so I don't really have a problem then, right?  is it that important that the selector not be able to go to safe with the hammer decocked?  I'm figuring i might as well leave it as it is as long as this won't cause some sort of problem down the road.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The AR trigger safety is a trigger block system.

The safety should not allow the hammer to fall, go forward or release when the safety is on and the trigger is pulled. This ensures the rifles' safety system is working as designed. Another check you should make is as follows:

With the upper and lower hinged open cock the hammer, and blocking hammer fall with your thumb, pull the trigger. DO NOT RELEASE THE TRIGGER OR LET IT GO FORWARD. Then, recock the hammer, and then let the trigger reset by releasing pressure on the trigger and letting the trigger go forward. If the disconnector is properly timed and catches the hammer, the hammer WILL NOT GO FORWARD OR RELEASE.

IF the hammer does release you have a disconnector timing problem. Since this trigger system is a McCormick product return it to McCormick for replacement or repair. Hope this helps. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
i noticed this when i insalled a cmc trigger in a friends ar.
i did NOT like it.
if you had the hammer down on an empty chamber, with the selector on safe, and carelessly attempted to charge the weapon, you could have some serious jammage; possible damage to critical parts.
that is: no weapon when you need it most. i was careful to warn my friend as he is an LEO.

this and the non-standard pins made me decide to stick with my jp triggers. i was really dissapointed, as i thought the modular trigger pack to be a capital idea. needs more work IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The AR trigger safety is a trigger block system.

The safety should not allow the hammer to fall, go forward or release when the safety is on and the trigger is pulled. This ensures the rifles' safety system is working as designed. Another check you should make is as follows:

With the upper and lower hinged open cock the hammer, and blocking hammer fall with your thumb, pull the trigger. DO NOT RELEASE THE TRIGGER OR LET IT GO FORWARD. Then, recock the hammer, and then let the trigger reset by releasing pressure on the trigger and letting the trigger go forward. If the disconnector is properly timed and catches the hammer, the hammer WILL NOT GO FORWARD OR RELEASE.

IF the hammer does release you have a disconnector timing problem. Since this trigger system is a McCormick product return it to McCormick for replacement or repair. Hope this helps. Charles the Gunsmith.  

Did as you said and the hammer will lock back.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you will be OK. Please let me know how this works out for you. I do not trust the McCormick trigger system at this time. Thanks for your feedback. Charles.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top