Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2005 7:56:53 PM EDT
I'm sure this is normal from a lot of usage over time, but they seem looser than any other AR I've messed with, even the bushy I had, before I put an accuwedge in was pretty shaky.

From inspection it seems the front takedown pin is what is very loose.   It's the correct large hole pin.  But even when I took an accuwedge out of one of my other ones, and dropped it in, the front still seemed to be shaky.  Is there anything I can do to tighten both pins up?  I know I can put an accuwedge in the back, but does anyone sell new Colt front takedown pins?  Maybe that would make the difference.

-mm
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
how does it shoot?

will find out tuesday, kinda weary about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine was loose new when I got it. I had a front pin made  .002 over and was going to custom fit it but never did. Still have it in my parts box.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mine was loose new when I got it. I had a front pin made  .002 over and was going to custom fit it but never did. Still have it in my parts box.

you still have it?  I'd be interested in where I can find a tighter/large one to tighten the fit.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Did someone take a large hole upper and put it in a small hole lower? This would cause the play you're describing. They make a sleeve for that problem. If that is what it is, is probably not in original config.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did someone take a large hole upper and put it in a small hole lower? This would cause the play you're describing. They make a sleeve for that problem. If that is what it is, is probably not in original config.

no, it's definately a large hole upper and large hole lower, I compared and tried to switch out both with my other modern AR, they're bigger holes.  So that's not the problem.  I think it has just been worn out so much and used for so long it's loosened up the pin and holes.

let me know if anyone knows where I can get a new large hole replacement pin.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Get an AccuWedge.  Colts of all ages are notorious for having loose fitting recievers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get an AccuWedge.  Colts of all ages are notorious for having loose fitting recievers.

As he already said he tried an accuwedge and it was still loose.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you tried turning the front screw pin? Since there is an eccentric fit for the screw pin, I have been able to take up some extra slack in my SP1 by turning the pin with a screwdriver a little after the two halves are closed up. It seems to stay together well enough and I loosen it up before cleaning. I don't crank on it just finger tight turn.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top