Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2005 5:36:50 PM EDT
I had a malfuction today at the range and when I checked out what the problem was it seems my buffer spring retainer fell out somehow. I saw this when I broke down my rifle and the b/C was hooked up to the buffer and spring. I found all the parts, put the thing back together and now I have two problems. First off, the buffer retainer wont budge when I try to push it down (dont exactly know if this is a big problem). Second is that now for some reason my rear takedown pin is loose and falls completely out of the lower! I've never seen that before and have no clue how to fix it. My rear takedown pin used to be  (yesterday) anoyingly (sp?) tight. Anyone know how to fix this or how these two can be linked?

Thanks in advance!!

Riese
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Here is a link to how to put a lower together. The plate on the telestock holds a spring and detent in that works to retain the take down pin. I am guessing you have a telestock because you said the buffer retainer popped out.

If you screwed the stock  tube in further to hold the buffer retainer in and it is pushing against the pin now to hard so it cannot move you may have a timing problem with the tube.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I checked and I am missing the pin detent and spring. I have no clue how that happened. My next problem is with my buffer retainer and spring. In one of my AR's the Retainer and spring stay in place when I push the buffer back. They also go down when I push down on them. However, on the AR in question, when I push the buffer back the retainer and spring pop out. I tried to push the retainer down further so it would stay in place. Although it worked, it not does not budge, even to move downword. If I am not mistaken the retainer is supposed to be able to be depressed by the bolt when the rifle is assembled? Sorry for my ignorance here, this problem is confusing the hell out of me!

Thanks in advance,

Riese
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The larger portion of the buffer retainer is held down by the stocks tube being screwed over the top of it. This leaves the pin portion sticking up to retain the buffer. The buffer retainer should move up and down enough to remove the buffer while being held in place by the stock tube being over one side of the large portion of the retainer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Anyone know how to fix this or how these two can be linked?

Swapping buttstocks can cause both problems. Did you recently change stocks?

The buffer retainer came out because the buffer tube wasn't screwed in far enough to overlap it and hold it in place. The detent and spring between the stock and the lower receiver is what holds the takedown pin captive so that it cannot fall out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Problem Fixed!! Thanks gents. I just had to screw in the tube a bit further.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top