Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2005 3:39:41 PM EDT
Hello all,

I've got another newbie question here.  I was cleaning up my rifle and noticed an orange-ish/brown-ish color around where the front sight is attached to the barrel.

I bought the upper as a kit, so I didn't mess with this part when putting things together.  I've only taken her out twice and cleaned thoroughly both times, so I can't imagine it's any sort of rust, but the color worries me.

Is there something used during installation of a front sight that would cause this 'residue' around the barrel?  Am I worrying too much?

Please see pic below.  You're looking at a close-up of an A-2 front sight on a 16" M4-type barrel.

Thanks for your help.

http://geocities.com/golanalog/image/frontsight.jpg
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I got the kit from M&A Parts.  What should I do about it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:04:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Tweak,

I called M&A and they're going to replace it.  But thanks to your reply, I was at least able to sound like I knew what I talking about when I called to complain.

Thanks!

Philter
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
outstanding. now the next time you hear someone say that Parkerizing the barrel intact doesn't harm anything you can throw in some first hand contrary knowledge.

So are you saying some park solution that remained between the FSB and barrel after the park process caused the corrosion?  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
outstanding. now the next time you hear someone say that Parkerizing the barrel intact doesn't harm anything you can throw in some first hand contrary knowledge.

So are you saying some park solution that remained between the FSB and barrel after the park process caused the corrosion?  

The park solution also contains water and is usually dried prior to being oiled.
The discoloration is caused by a lack of atttention to detail by whoever parkerized it.

The orange/brown stuff is rust.

I have parkerized fal, AK, AR, Galil, G3 and others with the gas block installed, or in some cases with the reciever and barrel assembled, and never had an issue.

The key is to make damn sure you get all the water/park solution out of it prior to oiling or painting the assembly.
A good air compressor with a standard air nozzel works fine if you can keep water out of the air lines.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the better solution is to Parkerize the barrel as the print shows, in separate parts. You can remove all the Park solution you want. Won't matter in the least the next time the rifle gets wet.

When I parkerize I let them sizzle for wuite a while and have never had a problem.

I even submersed a few of my rifles and never had any issues.
Just so ya know I wasn't bump firing under water or anything.
They were in the back of a truck when we got stuck in some water while 4X4ing.

My ARs, Fal, and AK were under water for about an hour, I parkerized all of them myself.
Took them out and let them dry and no rust.

link to larger pic

link to larger pic
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm thrilled that you have rifles made from rust proof steel. You should contact COLT and FN and sell it to them. They could save a lot of time and trouble Parkerzing their barrels.

Right,.......I think they have a nearly rust proof steel, it is called stainless and I think they have already heard of it.

Anyway, All I am trying to say is if regular steel is parkerized right it is possible to avoid the issue.

Oh yah, nothing against you personally but, FUCK colt in their non-civilian supporting asses.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Tweak, does COLT parkerize the FSB after it is reamed to size?  Or do they do they parkerize the barrel only?  Surely they wouldn't leave the FSB bore unprotected and prone to oxidation.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Even Bushmaster does it the half a$$ way but I can't imagine why? Thats not even one cent of Park where the finish is missing.

Also, is the finish on AR barrels Parkerizing? Because I thought it was some other type of finish.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Even Bushmaster does it the half a$$ way but I can't imagine why? Thats not even one cent of Park where the finish is missing.

Also, is the finish on AR barrels Parkerizing? Because I thought it was some other type of finish.

Some people use parkerizing and some use a phosphate system.
I think it is phosphat???, not sure of the correct term or spelling.

You are correct about bushmaster though, no park under the site base.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
The reason manufacturers park after the fsb is installed is for looks.  You will notice that most colt barrels have scratches on them in front of the fsb new out of the box.  This is from installation of the fsb after the barrel has been parked.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Phosphate, that's what I remember. Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top