Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 5:23:31 AM EDT
Hello.

Anybody have any experience with their selector switch falling out.  I was installing my new MAGPUL pistol grip with the enhanced trigger guard and as I was taking out the rear pin with a punch and hammer the damn selector switch started to ride out as well.  I pushed it back in, but now it doesn't click between settings.  Any ideas?

Jim
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You lost your detent, fr00t cake.  It's spring driven and held in place by the pistol grip!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
yep. Detent or at least the spring is missing.  As MarkM said. maybe look at a exploded diagram before disassembly next time?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:04:03 AM EDT
[#3]
www.ar15.com/content/guides/parts/lower.html

Heres a link to the diagram. Part 3,4, and 5. Look under information top right of this web page for manuals.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You lost your detent, fr00t cake.  It's spring driven and held in place by the pistol grip!

Be Nice! He's a Virgin. We were all there once...
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn.  I was wonderin what that spring looking do dad was when I disassembled the original pistol grip.  I got a little zealous about getting my new grip.  You guys are right I should have done more research prior.  I did search google and here prior to doing the install and everyone made it sound so easy that I figured it was a pretty brainless operation.  Thanks for the input.  I will check the diagram provided and go back.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:49:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damn.  I was wonderin what that spring looking do dad was when I disassembled the original pistol grip.  I got a little zealous about getting my new grip.  You guys are right I should have done more research prior.  I did search google and here prior to doing the install and everyone made it sound so easy that I figured it was a pretty brainless operation.  Thanks for the input.  I will check the diagram provided and go back.

Jim

When parts go flying across the room, assume that somewhere you will eventually need them again
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Jim

Jim,

I did the same thing when I first got into these.

I had a new Hogue grip and wanted to put it on in bad light, I just couldnt wait.
Next day I am at the range and wonder why the selector switch was traveling..DUH !!

You learned something new today.

This is an excellent source for information, these guys enjoy helping out so rifles work when we need them to.

John
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Fellas.  Thanks for the advice.  I was in a rush, but I made sure to package all the old parts and all the new parts, so I took the diagram and the parts and went back through.  It was kind of fun learning how to do it myself.  I look forward to adding a rail system next!  Thanks again.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fellas.  Thanks for the advice.  I was in a rush, but I made sure to package all the old parts and all the new parts, so I took the diagram and the parts and went back through.  It was kind of fun learning how to do it myself.  I look forward to adding a rail system next!  Thanks again.

Jim

Please lord, tell me that he is buying one that doesn't require the barrel to be removed from the upper to install (make mental note to go find him a leather mallet if it does).
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Dano.  I guess I will take your comment as a joke and not an attempt to come off as an elitist.  I have checked the FF Forend sticky and am doing my research on the various types of handguards and the differences between the various choices.  I am in no rush to buy anything anytime soon.  I purchased the MIAD grip since the original A2 style grip is too small for my hands (has been for the last 4 years I have served in the Army here and overseas).  I am interested in adding a rail system down the road, but for simple skill training it is not needed at home.  I will be sure to take my time and choose wisely when the time comes.  Thanks to Jon and the other fellas for honest supportive feedback.  Their posts are what I had hoped to find here at this community.  I wish you the best in your training/application.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#11]
why do some on here choose to answer in the form of a jack-ass know-it-all?  Sorry we're not all experts the first day we buy an AR.

Everyone learns this stuff for the first time at some point in your life.

If the vendor who sold me the first grip to replace hadn't explained to me about keeping the spring and detent in, I would have probalby done the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Even after you know it's there and the one for the rear take down pin when you remove the stock , it's easy to forget about it sometimes when you remove these items . I have ,lol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:00:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Even after you know it's there and the one for the rear take down pin when you remove the stock , it's easy to forget about it sometimes when you remove these items . I have ,lol.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
why do some on here choose to answer in the form of a jack-ass know-it-all?  Sorry we're not all experts the first day we buy an AR.

You just have to learn how to weed out and ignore the smartass comments. Believe me your not the only one who gets irritated by this. I’ve tried to help out guys with suggestions and have been ridiculed, only to find my suggestion repeated at a later date as if it was new info.

I have a few select people here that I take advice seriously from and others I don’t. There are different levels of knowledge base on this board ranging from newbie to seasoned AR builders. Most of us fall somewhere in-between. But we can all, at some point, learn a tip or two from one another.

Where’d that line come from: “It’s all about the guy next to you.”
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
why do some on here choose to answer in the form of a jack-ass know-it-all? Sorry we're not all experts the first day we buy an AR.

I think some forget how long it takes to learn all the information and even how long it takes just to learn the web site and where everything is. It is difficult for people to reference information that they do not know exists.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Tweek.  Those are very good points.  I just want to say that I did use the search function, but found nothing.  I am sure someone has posted about a similar issue, but maybe my search skills are bad and/or the title of the thread was something other than "selector switch, etc."  This forum is a great resource for new and experienced AR users so I am glad to be a part of it.  Hopefully with time and experience I can pass on the things I learn.  Thanks to those folks with the patience to help out a newbie.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top