Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:32:28 PM EDT
---PIC REMOVED, cause it was eating too much of my bandwidth---

This machined solid steel pin was wedged in between the bolt pin and the carrier, preventing the bolt from retracting into the carrier.
It is approx. 1/16" diameter and 5/16" long. Machined surface and ends (not broken).
It's not one of the lower detents, and it's not the extractor pin. I have no idea what it is, or where it came from. And how the hell did it end up inside the bolt carrier?
WTF is it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That's my first guess also.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like the pin that holds the extrtactor.

Ejector retainer pin is a roll pin.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
looks like the builder may have dropped a pin into the works and forgotten about it. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gouged the crap out of something in the rifle
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I was the builder.
It ran fine for several magazines today. It was when I started to load my carry ammo that the bolt carrier wouldn't go forward. After dissasembly I found this.
It's not the extractor pin from the bolt, already checked that.
It will still eject cases so I'm guessing its not the ejector pin.
btw: Colt bolt and bolt carrier.
I just compared it to the extractor pin, it's a bit smaller diameter and shorter than an extractor pin.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It was sabotage.  Blame the dog.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
F'in dog.........
What's scary is, even if its not an AR part......... it looks like a gun part. It had to fall out of somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Gremlins?

Aliens?

No clue at all....There really isn't anything else that could come from inside.  Any chance it fell into a mag or something and got loaded in?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
save it for a while, one day you will prob be like hmm why is this missing a pin?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
save it for a while, one day you will prob be like hmm why is this missing a pin?

Yeah,
Like two days after you throw it out
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
AHHHH HAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
I discovered what it is!
The roll pin on the forward assist sheared, allowing the spring detent to come out!
This is the forward assist spring detent.
I polished up a new forward assist and made sure it doesn't bind up and installed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
You probably let my son shoot it. He can break anything.  

So can firefighters, guess that means he'll be a firefighter.  

Oh well, could do lots worse.

Glad you figured it out.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was wondering if that was what it was........

no I wasn't

Too funny, I just chalked it up as a SEP (someone else’s problem), and never even gave it a second thought until you brought it back up.

P.S. I would have still blamed the dog for it anyway.  
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top