Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:55 PM EDT
i've got a new RRA upper and lower, and I put a magpul 93b stock on it.  Every time I fire, a LOT of gas and particles come out the back, in my face, up my nose, etc.  It's not pleasant, but hasn't detered me from putting about 1100 rnds through it in the past three months, with no other problems.

for troubleshooting, I've swapped the bolt-carrier assembly with another RRA and still have the problem.  I swapped the charging handle from two other ARs and still get a lot of gas. (no change)   So I'm fairly confident the problem isn't that.

I talked to RRA and to magpul and got a couple of suggestions, but nothing really promising.  Among them was the PRI gasbuster, but I'm left-handed, and the gasbuster is made for right-handers, redirecting the gas out the right side of the rifle (exactly where I don't want it).

So far, I've got a lot of speculation about how tight the fit is between the upper and lower, how big the hole is in the rear of the gas tube, and how well the carrier key seals.

To make matters worse, I'm about to add a suppressor to this setup, which by all accounts dramatically worses gas blowing back into your face.

Anybody have any ideas on what I could to do solve the problem?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]
no clue never had one ounce of gas hit me in the face.. how big is the gap where the charging handle goes into dose it seal all the way around???
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
well, that's a good question that i don't know how to answer.  when you say "seal" ...  none of my 3 ARs appear to have anything close to a tight seal on the charging handle.  they all have the same amount of play forward and backward and side to side.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#3]
hmmm check your gas rings and tell me if they are damaged
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
other than that I have no clue.. maybe the upper is out of spec
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
which gas rings? you mean the metal rings around the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
yes
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]
gas rings are fine, then.  as new condition, and clean.

tweak, not sure what "-10" is, but i''ve always used the maintenance instructions from the little comic book the military published back in the 60s.  it's a good suggestion though.  I'll try a couple of shots with almost no lube.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to have the same problem.  I cut back on the lube and solved the problem.  I also stopped using CLP and started using FP10.  It seems that I use a lot less FP10 to get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
when i clp the hell out of mine, it smokes and such, but i don't ever get gas in the face..., i'm lefty as well.

am i just getting lucky?
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top