Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2005 6:19:46 AM EDT
Hello all…I am looking for some advice concerning Rear A2 sights.  This is my new SBR:

My whole idea behind this rifle was to create a lightweight, totally bare bones weapon.  I already have two 8lb+ “Carbines”.  As such, I have always had flattops and have never really dealt with A2 sights.  

I just received my Form 1 on Friday, and completed final assembly this weekend.  I then ventured out to my local range, to conduct an initial sight in.  During the course of this evolution, I found something that has me concerned, but am not really sure what to do.  As the pictures below illustrate, my rear A2 sight is not aligned with the carry handle.  In addition, there is some play in the sight base.  I can move the sight base from side to side.  The base always seems to spring back o the left most position, resting against the carry handle.  I can’t be sure, but this doesn’t seem right, and in my mind could affect accuracy.  I realize we are talking about a 10.5” barrel using iron sights, and I am not planning on doing any precision shooting with this rifle, but I am concerned about being able to repeat zero each time I pick up this rifle.  

So my questions are these…
Is this normal?
If not, what can I do to correct this problem?
Lastly, should I just contact the manufacturer and ask “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot…Over”?

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  
Regards,  
Matthew (m4_a3)

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
So my questions are these…
Is this normal?
YUP
If not, what can I do to correct this problem?
not a problem.  tha's how they are made
Lastly, should I just contact the manufacturer and ask “Whiskey Tango Foxtrot…Over”?

nope.  don't do that.  what you have there is a ball and spring detent that pushes the sight over and kind of twists it.  is you elevate the rear sight all the way up you can see it a lot better.  if you keep going it will disassemble.  it's ok to do this.  you might want to just to see how it all goes together.  it's real diferent from all other sights but works well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
This is normal for A2 sights. It does not affect adjustment, accuracy or repeatability. Nevertheless, some people are very concerned about this and pay custom gunsmithing fees to have it fixed. The fix usually costs about $50 to $75. If you are interested in the repair check out the Accuracy Speaks website, ask for Derrick tell him Charles referred you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
normal for the cloners, bit extreme for .mil. Is the RSB all the way down? Does it tighten up as you increase the elevation?

Although not as bad as the origional poster's problem, I do have the same difficulty. It straightens out as I increase the elevation.

I have a bushmaster
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
you can fix that if you want to. it requires putting a hole and a pin in the upper and rear sight so the rear sight tracks on the pin. Look at some NM sights and you will see what I mean.

But what you are seeing is normal for standard sites.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you can fix that if you want to. it requires putting a hole and a pin in the upper and rear sight so the rear sight tracks on the pin. Look at some NM sights and you will see what I mean.

Not really a viable option on a service rig.  Granted that I have guide rod set-ups on CMP rigs, on a service rig, one good hit and the rear sight will be a fixed unit.

As others have stated, the rotation movement in the rear sight housing on the upper is normal, and a great feature when the rifle takes free flight every so often to insure that it will survive/functional even during the worst of adverse conditions.

P.S. We don't do range queens here!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]
How did my M1 Garand ever surive WWII and Korea with a non rotational site
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Forged steel parts on a forged steel receiver, plus  spring cover/spring washers .

Trust me, pull the cover/tension washers and the Garand/M-14 sight has all kinds of movement, it's the spring cover/items, like the detent on the AR's, that makes the rear sight track true, yet still allow them to take a hit.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top