Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2005 1:05:58 PM EDT
Used my Recce upper today for the first time and after 20 or so rounds the buffer and buffer spring somehow got jammed all the way back into my telestock and stayed there!

It's the damndest thing, and I can't get the buffer and spring out of the buffer tube no matter what I do.  Any tips to get it unstuck?

I'm using a (heavy) Les Baer custom bolt, with a standard buffer and spring.  Do I need a heavier buffer/spring combo in the future, or is this some sort of fluke thing?

Thanks for any help here.

Will
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Are your buffer retainer and spring still present and accounted for?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the little buffer retainer and spring are intact.  I thought that might be it, too.  

I just sprayed some WD-40 down the buffer tube and am hoping some will work it's way around the buffer and help unstick it with some time.

At the range I removed the lower, worked some CLP around the top of the buffer, and then tried to jar it loose by striking the back of the telestock hard but no dice.  The spring seems to be fully compressed, too...

Will  

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of this one. The buffer and the spring but not the BC? Could the rear plastic portion of the buffer be damaged and hanging up the whole thing? Possible.........
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe take the buffer tube off the lower?

It might be easier to work on that way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I've removed the buffer tube from the lower and tapped it from both ends.  Still no luck.

The face of the buffer, which is a new one, does seem to have a bit of damage.  It has a shallow mark across the face in a crescent shape, probably from the back of the bolt carrier.

A guy at the range we were at said that when he was in the Army he saw this happen "more than once", and that it was most likely caused by a burr on the buffer.   He said he'd soak the whole thing in kerosene for a day, but I substituted WD-40 with no luck.  

My personla feeling is that I might have gotten an out of spec buffer tube, or that I needed a stronger buffer/spring combo to handle the weight of the heavy Les Baer bolt and carrier.

Any other ideas?

Will

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Will, email sent..I have to work till 6:30 but will be home to hear from you then... let me know if my suggestion works...
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top