Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2005 8:02:15 AM EDT
The selector is stuck on "fire".  It worked fine at the range, but it wouldn't go on "safe" when I tried to perform functions check after cleaning.  My armorer-untrained eye cannot see anything obstructing the selector.  Is there anything else I should do before disassembling and reassembling the trigger group?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Rack the charging handle and see if you can flip it to safe then. IF the hammer is forward you can't put the safety on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
photoman,

thanks, but that's not the case.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The safety can't be switched to safe position unless the hammer is in the cocked position.   Try pulling the charging handle to cock the hammer first.  

That may be all it is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
photoman,

thanks, but that's not the case.

Ok that was the easiest "problem" I could think of.

Perhaps something got stuck in there, did you have or are you aware of any blown primers durring your last range session??

Thats about all I can think of.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing that I can see or am aware of is stuck in there.  I think I'll just disassemble it and do a thorough inspection.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:17:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there the off chance of a primer stick in there somewhere?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If anybody asks, just hold up your index finger and say, "THIS is my safety."  
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]

When I did my first build, the slot for the safety the detent slides into was a little too deep or had a sharp edge. We took a dremel tool and smoothed it up a little. Works fine now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I removed the pistol grip and the spring, but the detent won't come out.  Lightly taping the selector on top didn't work.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If anybody asks, just hold up your index finger and say, "THIS is my safety."  

Ya gotta curl it.

Delta or no delta that's a hot weapon Sgt.

lol. I love that movie,  I own it.  

I don't have safeties on any of my handguns.  Why have one on the AR? lol
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I removed the pistol grip and the spring, but the detent won't come out.  Lightly taping the selector on top didn't work.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

That may be the problem. The detent may have a burr on it and is "stuck" in the select switch. Try tapping again and wiggle the select switch, but dont force it. Once you get the detent out, remove the select switch and check the area where the detent is suppose to interact with it. If its scratched up or gouged, BINGO, thats the problem. Good luck and post an update. TWEAK, what do ya think?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I tried tapping it on something hard, wiggling the selector, and lots of lube.  I also tried to get it to move with dental tools.  The detent barely moves.  I tried this for an hour (without damaging the lower, of course).  Is there anything else that I can try?  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
it's usually a long process.

I had a feeling you'd say that.  I'll keep trying.  Thanks again for the assistance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#17]
At least if it's going to be stuck, it's probably better stuck on fire than safe. At least you can still shoot it, right?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, it is much better than stuck on "safe".  It does shoot; hence my procrastination.  I'm going to the range on Saturday and I hope the shooting process will maybe loosen up the detent.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top