Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2005 7:21:53 AM EDT
I am having a problem with my AR where the trigger will freeze in the forward(cocked) position when I try to fire.  Normally it will fire after a couple of hard presses on the trigger.  Any ideas on where to start?  Tha AR is a Colt with all original FCG parts made about 1993.  Any assistance would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#1]
i'm no expert in these things, but i don't know of any part that could cause that prob......i'd probably start lookin to see if there's any extra items floating around in there, or if one of the original parts had broken a part off and is causin this.......

a good rule of thumb for dealin w/ malfunctions is to do a detail disassembly of the offending area, and inspect each part's critical areas for damages.......   most of the time, this will show the prob...

good luck w/ it, and keep us posted on what works!
skintback
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.

I don't think that I am thumbing the selector while firing but will watch for that if nothing is found when I tear it down.  I haven't had the time to do that yet but plan on it this weekend.

Thanks again for the replies.  I'll post back once something is found.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI: When you reinstall the small disconnector spring, the large coil side goes down into the trigger back slot.  This retains the spring in the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I encountered a trigger pin that had broke in two that did the exact same thing... The pin broke in half right at the center groove and it wasnt detectable until it was removed...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had the opportunity to tear down the lower.  There wasn't anything in the action.  Nor were there any broken parts.  The trigger seems to work fine after the tear down/re-assembly.  This will definitely bear additional scrutiny.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have had the opportunity to tear down the lower.  There wasn't anything in the action.  Nor were there any broken parts.  The trigger seems to work fine after the tear down/re-assembly.  This will definitely bear additional scrutiny.

Not really, just a dirty FCG that may still have had a micro milling flaked bur wedged in-between the trigger/trigger pin that was not flushed out during regular cleaning.  Needless to say, it not a bad idea to just pull the parts and give them a good cleaning every 10 K rounds or so.  Between this pull time, a Q-tip and CLP works to get what you can out of the void/cracks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#8]
This happened to me when my trigger and hammer pins started walking to the right.  As the pins moved, the trigger would freeze.  Like you, If I squeezed hard enough, it would fire.  I stopped that as soon as I saw the pins coming loose.  When I put the pins back in place, the trigger was fine.  Check the pins and springs to see if the are somehow out of whack.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top