Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2005 8:23:11 AM EDT
I have cleaned the weapon and can only get it to fire one shot at a time.  The problem is when the first shot is fired the gun cycles and ejects the spent case and pickes up a fresh one, but the hammer is not cocked.  When i cycle it by hand it cocks the hammer and is ready for another shot.  Yes it hold the bolt open on the last round.  Any ideas  Thanks.  Bushmaster lower with a 16" patrolman upper.  Another thing the bolt is  not a conpletely encircled at the rear.  The bottom half is cut away.  So it is just a the top half thats there.  Thats the bolt that the gun came with.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the hammer down on a live round? If so, then it sounds like your disconnector is not catching the hammer and holding it back.

Function check your UNLOADED rifle. Charge the weapon WHILE holding back the trigger. Without releasing the trigger, the hammer should be held by the disconnector. Upon releasing the hammer, it should lightly click as the disconnector releases it and the trigger catches it. Pressing the trigger now should cause the hammer to fall.

Will the bolt lock back on an empty mag each and every time? It could be shortstroking, but still lock the bolt back now and then.

As for your bolt carrier, it sounds like a Colt Sporter bolt carrier. It is made that without the lower rear portion, so that is normal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I have  had that problem twice.  In both cases, the hammer was hitting the disconnector when the bolt slammed the hammer back.  In one case, the buffer was way too light, so I replaced it, and everything was fine.  The second time, it was an M16 hammer I was using.  I switched to a semi-hammer, and it still did it until I ground some of the hammer head away.  Check the back of the disconnector to see it the hammer is striking it.  A weak recoil spring could cause excessive bolt velocity too.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top