Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2005 2:01:00 PM EDT
I had my g-smith do a trigger job on my bushmaster about a month ago. I would guess the pull is around 6lbs. Really clean crisp break too. Today I bought a new Eotech and a mount. I mounted it up and went to the range to sight in. Well since I had not fired the gun since the trigger job, i had no way of knowing that it will fire a 2-3 shot burst about every few trigger pulls.

You should have seen the looks I was getting at the range (carters Country). This is a range for mostly deer rifle types (yes, I include myself in that). Aim, aim ,aim BOOM. wait a minute fire again. That is the norm at the range. (they discourage rapid fire)

Well my rifle went  K-K-Kboom. OOPS!

I had the rifle tighly held against my shoulder. I was not bump firing. But you tell the rifle that...
After it happend about 5 different times, I called it quits.

What do I do now?
Should I just give it back the the smith and have him rework it?
Do I need a higher LB. trigger return spring?
Do I go to another smith?
What could have happened if an ATF officer was around?
Thanks,
Doug.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Well yes give it back to him.  He put the wrong spring in the disconnector/trigger assembly and the hammer is following the bolt down.  The soft civie primers then go boom.  Unit energy decresses and it stops cycling.  its fun but, not in public!  if someone asks "its broken and needs repair".
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

May want to avoid him in the future.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:21:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What do I do now?

Get it fixed before you fire it again!

Depends on how reputable he is.  If he is fly by night or shady I would not...   but if he has been
around a long time then I would definitely take it back to him.

Do I need a higher LB. trigger return spring?

dunno, I didnt do the trigger job

Do I go to another smith?
 See 2nd question

What could have happened if an ATF officer was around?

It would definitely been your bad day...    You most likely would have been able to show some
receipts proving you just had the trigger worked on but they most likely would have confiscated
the rifle to do "testing" on.  You DO have a receipt for the smith work dont you ??

I would shudder to think what would happen if the smith was questioned by the ATF and he swears to them that he function tested it and it was working just fine when you picked it up.  The only way it would have done that is if YOU had been tinkering with it.

Then you could be charged with contructing a machine gun...    I believe that is 10 years / $100,000 fine.

You got lucky.

LB
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
    I had that same exact thing with an ASA one time, I replaced the whole trigger group and sold the rifle.  ASA sucks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Many, many times has the ATF stated that they will not prosecute a mechanical failure that results in a semi auto firearm doing "bursts" at random.

Ed Owens and John McGaw are both on record stating this.

This is exactly the fear we should be concerned with. If you fear that you will be imprisoned for a gun you had paid for work to be done on and it mis-fires, we then need to re-examine our law enforcement charter and what our current laws are doing for us. Our society should never have to fear a cop if we are not a criminal. They are not the KGB and we will not be dragged from our homes in the dead of night, never to be heard from again by our loved ones.

If this is where we are now, then it's past time to take action.

You shouldn't need to fear any alphabet soup agent. I know many. It ain't working right. Take it back and get it fixed.

Do a function check and see if it passes. Check out biggerhammer if you don't know how to function check.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help guys.
And to answer a question, no I do not have a reciept for the trigger job.
My g-smith does my work for free, sinceI give him access ro my machine shop to work on other guns.
Doug.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yank the fire control group, install a McCormick trigger pack.  Or a RRA 2 stage, etc.  Go commercially available because your gunsmith ( no offense) doesn't seem to know what he's doing.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top