Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2005 2:36:07 PM EDT
Im new to the AR more to malfunctions.. I drove all the way to the range Collin county for dfw folks first shot fired and then this happend..  What causes this? IS it very bad or pretty common thanks for your tips..

Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Very bad......yes
Common.......no

What ammo were you using?  .223 or 5.56 Nato (headstamp looks like Q3131A)
What is chamber on the barrel? .223 or 5.56 Nato
Is the round forcibly stuck in the chamber?
Rifle Manufacturer?

Need to answer these questions.

Something deformed a portion of the rim.  Guess it could have been the extractor.

The specs of chamber and ammo are slighty different.  The Nato chamber is a bit larger to maximize reliability where as the .223 chamber is SAAMI specs gear as a sporting round.  The dimensions of the ammo are a bit different too.

If you have a tight .223 chamber and shoot 5.56 Nato spec ammo, I could definitely see this happening.

Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it is Q3131A The barrel says 5.56 nato and I have shot this ammo before..

I guess my next question is how bad is this is it ruined can I get this out myself.. Man im going to have a breakdown.. lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Well pull the damned round out..see if the brass is bulged or cracked inspect the chamber.
I had brass stick before once, ive also had a cut case once..but after many many rounds i havent seen it happen since.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just run a cleaning rod down the bore and pop it out.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
cleaning rod down into the bottom of the case and tapping the rod to get it out

^ he beat me to it
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
hey guys thanks for the tips the brass is out,, It does not seem to be that bad just the damage you can see in that one pic sort of scratched and squared.. Other than that IT does not have anything else..

So Can somone tell me what happed? Did the bullet shoot and not let go of the brass and just pull it with it? OR when it was ejection did it just fly in the wrong area?

Do you guys cary cleaning rods to the range in case this happens? Trying to be a better prepared shooter

Thanks as always

edit I was trying to take a picture of the brass but my camera just would not focus on it.. I suck at it just as much as my ar it seems
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#7]
ol' Boy Scout motto:  Always be prepared

I most certainly carry cleaning gear, a few useful tools and several other items when I go shooting.  But I used it moer to help others than actually using it myself.

Anytime I have left the stuff at home I have ended up regretting it...

LB
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I keep a USGI cleaning kit in my range bag and a Broken shell extracter in one of the compartments on my Vltor aswell as small spare parts...Detents,springs ect.. Just incase

If you ever encounter a broken casing stuck without a broken shell extracter they can be impossible to get out.You might want to get one just to keep in your range bag.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I had this same problem with a brand new DPMS rifle that I purchased about 2 years ago. After a phone call to DPMS (who, in turn, stated that I need to use American ammo and not the cheap russion stuff even though I only use Winchester  which is made in Israel) . In any case they wouldn't help me, even after numerous calls so I sold that rifle and bought a bushy and have had ZERO malfunctions.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with a used rifle that he just recently bought, no it wasn't mine but is was a DPMS, and he in turn brought it to a gunsmith who said the chamber was out of specs and when the case expanded it basically wedged itself in the chamber so tight that the extractor couldn't do its job and just basically ripped the cases. He eventually replaced the barrel and never had another issue.

If it is new contact the FFL it was purchased from or contact the manufacturer.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
rough chamber?
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Boog.  It's most likely a rough chamber.  They can be polished easily but take it easy.  You just want to polish it a and not change the chamber dimensions.

You should examine the extractor to make sure it has a good shape and a decent spring and rubber bumper.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Had this happen in many weapons.Normal cause Bad round simple as that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#14]
The rifle is a colt match target.. It has about 300 rounds through it.. The question about the buffer has me wondering I posted this question a while back

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=221189

I had two buffers and could not decide which one to use? maybe this had somthing to do with it. I decided to use the black one its seemed well built less rattle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are using 5.56MM Q3131A ammo and a 5.56 mm NATO barrel, shouldn't the round work?  I've heard that Russian ammo (lacquered) will coat the chamber if it gets hot enough to melt the lacquer, and then you will get brass stuck in the chamber.  Also heard is very hard to clean out.  This information is on the Olympic Arms Website, http://www.olyarms.com/?page=ammowarning .
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Common problems include:  Defective ammo, defective/worn extractor and/or extractor spring, rough/out of spec chambers, dirty chamber.  

Give the rifle a good cleaning.  Be sure to use a chamber brush and scrub the chamber well.  If the problems continues, swap out the extractor and spring.  You could use a Wolffe spring or similar if you want, but it should run okay with a standard spring.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys could a painted gun cause this problem my gun has been painted with the menthol III paint which is a self lubricating paint?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:43:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes it does have a collapsible stock,, Here are the springs i have I am using the longer one with the black buffer. I figured longer better?

The other one is gold from my other thread that you tweak posted on.. I hope this pic helps.. Thanks so much for all the help guys Im taking this thing to the range again this weekend hope to have a better time

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd say that it is a bad round.
I had one happen to me with XM193 and a little dent in the case was the culprit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I will take a look for that FAQ.. I belive this might be the cause.. thanks again
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top