Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2005 9:32:06 AM EDT
I would be very thankful if you could post them!

Thanks

Cato
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Courtesy of gregw45:

Colt staking job on left.  Bushmaster staking job on right.

Note: BFI has recently purchased a staking machine and will no longer stake its carrier keys by hand.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I never asked, since I came across this topic, Why are they staked?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks- that helps! Bummer, my RRA looks like the BFI one.
Besides the Army manual, which describes field staking, is there
a how to guide with photos somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I will try and get a picture of one I re staked, but I also used locktite first - which heldfine, but I still worried they would back out in time.  I was exceptionally careful in the bolt carrier doing it, and I wouldn't recommend using locktite unless you are really really careful because if it got down inside and you put it back together with the bolt, and it was to leak and then cure - well it would be a bad day...

I used a steel punch and re-staked it - it was not difficult - oh I did it because they backed out after first 200 rounds - model1sales kit... figures - the bolt cracked at 1400 and I replaced it with a RRA bolt - as they are a good company and they only charge $25 for a stripped one!

l8r
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Pardon my ignorance, but how does one go about staking a carrier key in place?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
You use a round tip punch tool and a hammer.

You can either buy the punch, or be like the rest of us, and make your own (e.i. anything hardened and has a small round flat tip ).

I'm sure Tweak will be along shortly, and post a Photo of the one he made.

As for how it done, after the key screws are torqued, you drive the punch straight down to flair the edge of the key metal into the edge of the screw.

Note: Don't try to punch the screw, Just flow the carrier key metal into the side/over the top of the screw. Also, watch the side of the key, they are bearing surfaces.  If the metal flows out past the edge of the key, use a file and flush it back with the side bearing surfaces.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag for updates
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top