Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2005 1:00:28 PM EDT
I have an early Colt AR-15 without the forward assist. It was originally a long barreled rifle with the triangular forestock, which I modified into a collapsable stock 16" barrel carbine several years ago. After the mod, it never would run right. It was so long ago I forget how it acted after the mod. After many years of sitting idle in a gun safe, I sent it to an gunsmith and builder who thought it needed a modification enlarging the gas port. After I got it back from him, on every third or 4th shot it would fail to fully feed, acting like it needed the forward assist. The gun is clean and lightly lubed from the gunsmith.

Any ideas from any of you pros out there??

Thanks.

Dave

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Try a WOLFF high powered buffer spring, my 16 did the same till i got one, cured her.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Tweak,

What's a "HS"?? I have zero confidence in the barrel or stock manufacturer. I bought the stuff at a gun show back in the mid 80s thinking it was all mil. spec. standard stuff, haven't the slightest idea who made it. I still have all the old stock Colt stuff tucked away somewhere in the bowells of my garage. It was the first time I ever had the thing apart and stumbled through re-assembly. I also have zero confidence in my re-assembly ability!!

Double8,

I checked the Wolff website. They list an "Heavy Action Spring" for $14.99. Same as the "Buffer" spring???

Dave
(Old Hotrodder, shade tree mechanic, beer can plinker, not a gunsmith.......... yet.......)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Tweak,

I'm getting better already, read on one of your tech. FAQs HS = headspace.......

Dave
(but still not a gunsmith!)
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
A fourth round problem sounds specific to 20rd mags fully loaded.  What mags and loading are you using?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Sarge,

Dumb..... my ass.... look at all the good info I have gotten in just a couple of days!!!!! There is a difference to being ignorant and being dumb... I plead guilty to ignorance.

Why do you think I jumped into this forum in the first place????? That "Guides" section you showed me is the handiest thing I have ever seen for the AR-15!!!

Thanks!!!!

1 GUNNER,

using 30 round mags...... no problem except for failure to fully feed and chamber....
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Tweak,

I'm digging through the bowells of my garage digging up the old parts as we speak...... luckily they were stored in a sealed moisture resistant aluminized bag...

Dave
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I read somewhere that a fourth round problem could be from follower tilt, IIRC it was for 20rders but it might be for 30rders to.  It could be the mag follower, buffer spring, or your new gas port job causing a different more energetic extraction of the spent round, affecting the chambering of new rounds.   An extraction aid such as D-Fender or other O rings offered might help.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Autom8r, the "dumb" reference in sgtar15s' post wasn't directed towards you, it's his signature line, it's in every post of his.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top