Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2004 8:34:10 AM EDT
This seems to be the only place I can get an answer to a technical question.

Will an extruded buffer tube be as strong as a forged buffer tube?  I'm referring specifically to an Vltor tube vs. a Colt tube.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Just what the hell are you planning on butt rubbing with the rifle/butt plate to even ask the question?

My thought would be if you really need to do some damage, then the old Phantom FS with the lips does the best damage.  Hell, sharpen them up and you don't even need a bayonet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just what the hell are you planning on butt rubbing with the rifle/butt plate to even ask the question?

My thought would be if you really need to do some damage, then the old Phantom FS with the lips does the best damage.  Hell, sharpen them up and you don't even need a bayonet.

I was just talking about a general purpose field rifle and any abuse it might encounter (i.e. a drop or smack).  Is an extruded tube as good as a forged tube?  Can it handle the abuse?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask the guys using the VLTOR tubes in the sandbox.  They hold up just as well as your Colt parts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ask the guys using the VLTOR tubes in the sandbox.  They hold up just as well as your Colt parts.

Are they using Vltor tubes or are they just putting Vltor stocks on their Colt tubes?

I have both Colt and Vltor tubes.  I'm just wondering if the Vltor can hang on a combat weapon because it really is a nice tube and I like the 5 position adjustability versus 4.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#5]
forgings are stronger than extrusions
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
forgings are stronger than extrusions

In a general sense, yes they are.  Is the difference enough in this particular application to even worry about; probably not.

Two sources to ask:

Ask Colt, they'd know.

Ask Eric from VLTOR, he'd probably know also.

While you are at it, ask MSTN about his builds.  He uses VLTOR stocks alot and he would tell you if he uses VLTOR tubes, Colt tubes or a mix.

Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure:

MSTN Customers

Hope you don't lose sleep worrying about stuff like this.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top