Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2004 6:01:49 PM EDT
Hey guys my YHM handguard rotates on me. Just started happening today. The barrel nut doesn't move, but the handguard itself and the float tube lock nut both will spinn around. The lock nut stays tight agains the FF tube though. I don't have a tool to tighten it up. My carbine stock wrench won't cut it. But whats the best way to keep this thing solid and not moving on me. Will red locktite do it or do I need something else. This gun gets shot a lot and gets rather heated.......

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the lightweight ff handguards and after removing and installing a couple of times to get the top rails to line up i feel that the tool for it is the best thing there is.

i looked at it and i dont think there is no other way to install that lock nut so that it wont come off unless you use a screwdriver and hammer to lock it

i used the tool and torqued the shit out of it and have gone through a case of ammo and it hasnt come loose yet.  and this is with no locktite.  if you dont install it properly there is no locktite available that will hold the tube and lock ring from spinning.

i have shot the rifle with the yhm ff on a bipod and have used it with a foregrip and to add this is my beater ar so it has seen good use
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Guess I'l just get the tool than. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my YHM handguards installed by YHM.  They were always tight and never came loose on the rifle.  When I switched to a different ff tube, I noticed that the YHM folks use some sort of locktite type of substance on the barrel nut and the hardguard.  I used blue locktite on the reassembly of my rifle and its worked out well.  Red loctite is a bit much I think.  I would try blue first.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
When ever you have something to do with threads and heat, you should always use some type of thread sealer.

I would sugust using Loctight and a good strap wrench to tighten it down with. the strap wrench used with a rag wont leave any type of marks on the hand guard when your done.

Pat
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Red Loctite(271)Perment You Need alot of Heat To break It loose I wold not use Red Loctite(271) on any gun part.
Blue Loctite (241) (242) Takes alot to Break bolts loose Mabee use a couple of drops
Green Loctite (580) Retaining Compound Not so Tuff

I use Loctite all the Time at work And I hate it when people Use Red Loctite(271) You practly have to get the bolts glowing red to get them out.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top