Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 4:07:13 PM EDT
I just got a few new 30 rounders. One of my new mags will not allow the bolt to lock open after the

last round. The mag I'm having the problems with looks perfect to me...even when I compare it

side by side with the others. I've got the Magpul enhanced followers in them, if that makes any

difference. I've tried to figure this out myself, but I need help. Any ideas...
Btw: I'm sure this is a dupe, but I could not find an answer searching these boards.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If it only happens with one mag, its the mag.

I dont know the magpul followers.... but the first thing I would check is correct spring orientation.  They can be put in backward.

Second, take a ruler or the like, and "break" the follower in...running it up and down inside the mag like 20 or 30 times.  This will smooth it up if it is binding.

Third, change to a USGI green follower and see how it behaves.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I swapped spring and follower with a known good one...same thing. Once again, I compared

it to another identical mag. I still see no diference. If the mag is out of spec it shouldn't be off bad

enough to do this. I wonder if I should replace that "thing" in the lower?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, I swapped spring and follower with a known good one...same thing. Once again, I compared

it to another identical mag. I still see no diference. If the mag is out of spec it shouldn't be off bad

enough to do this. I wonder if I should replace that "thing" in the lower?

Out of spec mag body.  Use it for failure training.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll mess with it tomorrow. If I can't get it to work, well I've got a new spring to put in old usgi mags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same problem except it is with all my mags.  At first the spring couldnt hold the catch down at all. I messed with it some and now I can manipulate it with my hand.  Now it will spring out if I pull the bolt to the rear again, but the mag followers wont hold the catch up. So, the bolt wont lock open on an empty mag. I dont mean to hijack, but how do I loosen that darn thing up?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have the same problem except it is with all my mags.  At first the spring couldnt hold the catch down at all. I messed with it some and now I can manipulate it with my hand.  Now it will spring out if I pull the bolt to the rear again, but the mag followers wont hold the catch up. So, the bolt wont lock open on an empty mag. I dont mean to hijack, but how do I loosen that darn thing up?

If it is with all your mags... take your bolt catch out and sand it down a bit on the sides, and check your lower slot for burrs.  It should be able to pivot freely.  Make sure you put the correct spring in the bolt catch.... some people mix up the disconnector spring and the BC spring.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
The straight spring is bolt catch and the kinda cone shaped one is the disconnector spring right?  Could too much CLP in the disconnecor cause this also? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I knocked the pin out. When I just use the punch to pivot the catch, the mag holds it up just fine.  Perhaps the pin is too tight? If so how can I fix that?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to bombard this thread, but I think I got it fixed.  I took pieces of sand paper and ran them through the pin hole on the latch. After a bunch of sanding it seems to have loosened it up. BTW it was a model1 parts kit on a mega lower.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like your bolt catch hole was a little tight.  You are on the right track.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't had time to mess with it. In the last few days, my fiance

left me, I found out a young family member has terminal bone cancer, and last night  I had to

euthanize my best friend

If my house doesn't burn down this weekend, I'll try an fix my AR
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sorry to bombard this thread, but I think I got it fixed.  I took pieces of sand paper and ran them through the pin hole on the latch. After a bunch of sanding it seems to have loosened it up. BTW it was a model1 parts kit on a mega lower.

I had the same problem with the M1S bolt catch on an ameetec lower, had to drill the pin hole out, also can't move the safty lever back to safe when the hammers decocked, haven't had this problem with bushy, amalite or dpms trigger groups, anyone got any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont think you are supposed to be able to put the selector on safe if the hammer is not cocked.  At least that has been my experience on M16, bushy, and my franken-AR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#19]
A little late maybe, but.

I recently got some LPK's (6) of them in which the holes in the bolt catch lever were too small, they hung up and were tight. Would not catch the bolt no matter which mag used.

I found that if the roll pin won't slip into the hole in the lever unassembled, it was tight when assembled.

I had to ream all 6 out a bit to get them to work.

These were all supposed to be RRA kits.

I got another RRA kit from a different source and everything fit perfect. The levers were even marked different.

EDIT: bolt catch = lever to me.

HTH

Danny
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I dont think you are supposed to be able to put the selector on safe if the hammer is not cocked.  At least that has been my experience on M16, bushy, and my franken-AR.

thats what everyones been telling me, but my bushy 15s' and armalite ar10 do, was just wondering cause the lower I just built with M1S parts won't.

didn't mean to highjack your thread Flushdraw.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't had time to mess with it. In the last few days, my fiance

left me, I found out a young family member has terminal bone cancer, and last night  I had to

euthanize my best friend

If my house doesn't burn down this weekend, I'll try an fix my AR

Well that just sucks on three different levels!  None of them good!

You have my condolences and sympathies.  Prayers sent, and one of them is for your fiance to come back to her senses and remember what a great guy you are!

Go out into you yard with a shovel and find the Tree of Woe seedling that has apparently sprouted in your yard somewhere.  Dig that sucker up and either burn it in place or plant it in the yard of someone you really can't stand!

CJ

Thanks for the prayers, CJ. I'm ok with the fiance leaving. She had a big ass, and posting pooper pics was a dream that could never be realized Actually, I'm more upset about having to bury my little girl today...

Tree of Woe seedling still not spotted. I must continue looking...

Ndenway: You have my permission to hijack this thread
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top