Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2004 9:35:10 PM EDT
I have two Eagle Arms lowers I just got. Right now both will fire on both pull and release if you let go slow. I have 3 hammers and no matter how I interchange them I get the hammer dropping when I release the trigger slow.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Every time that has happened to one of my rifles it was the disconnector.

Put in a new one and back in business.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The disconnector has a spring that pushes up under the rearward section, and there is a flat area on the forward section that acts as a stop on the front of the trigger.  

Grind a little off of that area, where it touches the trigger in the front.  This will increase engagement with the hammer hook.

This may be due to (1) mislocation of hammer/trigger pin holes in the receiver, or (2) a poorly made disconnector.

I find it hard to believe you have three defective hammers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]

I would agree about the hammers but that leaves me with 2 out of spec disconnectors or receivers.

I will try new disconnectors next.

Quoted:
The disconnector has a spring that pushes up under the rearward section, and there is a flat area on the forward section that acts as a stop on the front of the trigger.  

Grind a little off of that area, where it touches the trigger in the front.  This will increase engagement with the hammer hook.

This may be due to (1) mislocation of hammer/trigger pin holes in the receiver, or (2) a poorly made disconnector.

I find it hard to believe you have three defective hammers.

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
tagged for when I clean my rifle after range time today
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had to do any fitting at all on any FCG's I've installed. Did you use new name brand parts or just stuff from a gun show bin?  +1 on the disconnector being the likely culprit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Based on  sample size of how many lowers?

plan_b,

Are your discos stamped or milled?

I've built 14 to date, all using Bushmaster components with the exception of 2 that had RRA match triggers and 1 that has a Jewel. I could just be lucky....
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, you have to modify something to make them work...

The lower receiver is over $100 by the time you add all costs (incl transfer).

The hammer and trigger are each in the $15 range.

The disconnector is just a couple of bucks.

This is the easiest part to adjust, and the cheapest.

To increase disconnector engagement without modifying the disconnector would require you to add material to the top of the front of the trigger, meaning welding, re-heat treating.

Or to weld more material onto the disconnector hook on the back of the hammer, recontour that area, etc.

Or just grind a little off the lower front of a $3 part (the disconnector).

Let me think... what am I gonna do???
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Doh!!!  Somehow, I missed that he was having the same problem with 2 seperate receivers and parts groups.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks everyone. Modified the disconnectors and all seems well.  I received these lowers with kits installed via a trade so I do not know whos' LPKs are in them.  They will soon be replaced with macth triggers anyway but I need to shoot a 200yd steel match tomorrow.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nothing like a slow morning before the mid morning coffe break.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I am having this same proble, firing on release of the trigger. Can anyone post a pic of where exactly on the disconnector to grind?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
"before" the break? 14 is more like a break.
or at least was back in the day

Well, I don't do it for a living.... 14 is pretty good for just some guy with a hammer and some punches though.  And I think that's a large enough sample to say that fitting is not usually required.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#18]
CConn, see the place on the forward part of the disconnector, where it rests on top of the forward portion of the trigger?  Right there.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top