Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 11:04:37 AM EDT
I just finished installing my first two collapsable stocks and everything went well.

My only question is: I did not use loctite on the castle nut, just screwed it on tight. Is this a problem, will it come loose with shooting, or is that just extra precaution?

Thanks guys!

drew
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
you don't need or want it.

with a moderate amount of torque it will not come loose.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent! Thank you, sir! Can't wait to shoot this baby now...

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I did not use loctite on the castle nut... will it come loose with shooting?

Even torqued to spec, mine did.

Two drops of loc-tite took care of that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Tweak, what's the proper procedure to stake down the castle nut? If ya got pics that would be cool as well.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#6]
You can take a punch and ding the metal on the reciever end plate till it goes into one of the notches on the reciever side of the castle nut.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I went ahead and loctited the castle nuts on both receivers. Is it best to let it set for the 24 hr period before shooting?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I've  tried it both ways, with &  without loc-tite, it worked just fine.

TG  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
There a MANY types of Locktite.  "Blue" and "Purple" Locktite are "service removable".  It says so right on the bottle.  

This means it is meant to keep nuts tight, but still allow them to be removed when needed.  

"Red Locktite" is the permanent type, and takes heat to break it down.

I use "purple" locktite for my gunsmithing purposes, scope ring screws, etc... and especially for the "castle nut" of CAR stocks.  Just one or two drops is enough, and you can still remove it when you want.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]
As a long time gear-head ( I built my first race motor for my car at 16) all I can say is "Loctite is your friend", put it on anything that has threads, as I have even had air-cleaner nuts vibrate loose/off. The blueand purple are removable with the proper amount of torque, and it's good insurance at a cheap price, unless you like looking around for your rear take-down pin retention spring out in the boonies.  Just my .02$

John
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:13:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I used the blue loctite and ended up waiting 2 days before shooting.

Apparently I did everything right because she ran like a champ. That third position on the six-position stock is perfect for me. The A2 was always too long and that stubby stock was way too short.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top