Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 4:01:05 PM EDT
my bolt will not lock open when the gun shoots a mag dry.  i tried cleaning it and oiling it w/ no change.  it just started happening one day.  it has happened w/ 5 different mags over 200 rnds.  it happens every time.  but other than that problem, the gun still shoots great.  

anyone have any suggestions?  i did a search and looked in the faqs w/out success.  thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the screws holding the key on the carrier.  Some times the staking will hold a broken screw head.   Get an allen wrench in there and make sure they are still tight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
What ammo are you using ?  If it is under-powered ammo, it will not properly cycle the action.  If you reload and use too fast powder, it will short stroke also.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#3]
oldguy,
the key is the tube where the gas tube goes, right?  there are 2 hex head screws holding that down and they are very tight.  i could not even move them.  the do not look cracked.

G35,
i'm using the same ammo i have always been using: new wolf polymer 55gr. FMJ and federal LC XM193 55gr.  i have shot thousands of both these brands w/ no problems beore.

the only thing i do notice is that there is a slight burr on the top of the bolt catch in side the gun.  could this be the problem?  it's a very small scratch.

any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Try cleaning your gas tube...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Mag spring fatigue?

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#6]
gas tube is fine.  i doubt it is short stroking b/c there have been no other failures in 300 rounds.

this is happening w/ 6 different mags - 3 labelle 30rnd green followers, 2 colt 20rnd, and 1 british 30rnd steel mag.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm watching this thread closely in that I'm having the same problem.  Tweak, I can manually lock the bolt back with the upper and lower assembled.  Oldguy, the screws in the key are tight, but had recently worked loose, causing shortstroking.  It's happening with all my mags, and happens often when cycling the bolt by hand on an empty mag.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
i can also manually lock the bolt back w/ the gun assembled.  i'll try it disassembled when i get home tonight.

it also manually locks back w/ an empty mag inserted.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top